Offbeat Classes Offered at Western

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WWU chapter.

Registration is approaching fast and you may be wondering what classes to take. Are there gaps in your schedule that you need to fill? Western offers a diverse variety of classes, but there are some courses more out of the ordinary than others. Ranging from 1 to 5 credits over multiple disciplines, these classes are guaranteed to spice up any snoozy school schedule! Unless otherwise specified, the following courses are open to anyone and have no pre-requisites.

Ready to get up and groove? Western offers several entry-level dance classes—no experience required! For 2 credits, you can take Mod-Hop which is a merging of multiple dance styles including hip-hop, African jazz, and modern dance. Open Ballet will school you in the basic principles of ballet for 2 credits. Open Modern Dance teaches the basic principles of movement, along with appreciating dance as an art form for 2 credits as well.

Is dancing not your thing? That’s okay! You can still get out and be active through classes offered in WWU’s Physical Education program! For 1 credit, you can pick your favorite activity out of a huge assortment of classes. Relax with Beginning Yoga as you practice your poses and boost your health and well-being. Want to learn how to protect yourself? Take Beginning Self-Defense! Do you love getting out on the water? Sign up for Beginning Sailing, Beginning Windsurfing, Basic Kayak Touring, or even Sailboat Racing. Nearly any sport or fitness activity you can think of is taught as a class, so check them out!

Interested in history? Western offers a course called History of the Pacific Northwest, which examines key elements in the history of our beloved PNW ranging from the eighteenth century until now, with an emphasis on Washington State. Bonus! This is also an upper division course for 5 credits.

If you’re feeling creative, check out Glass Blowing for 4 credits. Explore the art form and learn about glass blowing concepts and techniques through this artistic course! WWU junior, Harrison Klop can vouch for this class. “It was an awesome hands-on learning experience and creative outlet that everyone should experience at least once in their lives,” he says.

Do you have an interest in makeup? What about theater? Take Stage Makeup in the Theater department for 2 credits! This class incorporates theory and the practice of applying makeup for the stage while highlighting character development, facial anatomy, and aging.

If you’ve taken Geology 101, you’re in luck! Sign up for Dinosaurs and Their Environment for 3 credits. This is also an upper division course. Learn about the biology, behavior and evolution of the mysterious creatures that once roamed our planet and what the world was like during that time. WWU sophomore Brie Cleveland says, “This class was so fun and interesting! Thor Hansen is the best professor and is super funny.” You can sign up to take this class either online or in person for spring quarter!

Are you into mythology? If you are then there are two classes you should know about that are offered this spring. Greek Mythology is offered through Classical Studies for 4 upper division credits! This course studies Greek myths as a main influence of Greek life. Through Liberal Studies, you can take Myth and Folklore for 4 credits, which is an introduction to the study of this topic and its cultural impact.

If you’re a music lover, try out one of two (or both) of the online music courses offered this spring. For 3 credits you can take Introduction to Hip Hop and study the work of Hip Hop music’s most influential artists, along with the history, culture and influence of the genre. The second online music class is Introduction to Country Music which explores the genre, its major performers, songwriters, and songs; in addition to the impact country music has had on culture throughout history.

Here’s an interesting one: Fly Fishing in American Literature. This Library class is 3 upper division credits. The title speaks for itself!

A class we all could benefit from taking is 4 credits and called Health of College Students. There are several recommended classes that you should take prior to this class, however they are not required. This course studies major health risks for college students, promotes healthy lifestyles, provides strategies for avoiding risky behaviors, and includes a personal health status assessment.

Credit to WWU ClassFinder for course description information.

I am a junior at Western Washington University majoring in Communication Studies and minoring in Psychology. I am a country music addict, a Seahawks fan, a lover of animals, & I enjoy travelling.