gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Kayla Pohlman ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WWU chapter.

Age: 23

Hometown: Mercer Island, WA

Major: Psychology with certification in elementary education

Kayla Pohlman is currently a senior who is a student teacher intern for first graders. When asked what the most rewarding attribute of student teaching is, Pohlman says it’s knowing this is real and it is what I want to do.

“I feel like I fit in,” Pohlman says. 

Pohlman wants to teach after she graduates next fall in 2015. She said she wants to possibly pursue positive psychology of learning profiles in school and learn what types of things bring success to students. She is interested in using research and psychology to inform people how we approach character development in schools.

Pohlman describes Western’s education program as very progressive. She says Western makes an effort to discuss with student’s how other countries use their education systems. Western’s education program is beginning to teach how it is important for student’s to understand the meaning behind math of how it works rather than just knowing this is the equation you must use.

Pohlman has been in a relationship with her boyfriend Victor Laszlo for 4 and a half years. When asked how her relationship has stayed so strong, she said it is all about communicating with each other. You must be emotionally stable on your own in order for your relationship to be successful.

“We make a lot of effort to have our own life,” Pohlman says. “We can’t be each others only friends.”

At the beginning of their relationship Pohlman said her and Laszlo would spend all their time together but witnessing her friends codependent relationship had scared her and she realized her and Laszlo needed to be stable on their own.

“Victor and I are both passive people, not aggressive,” Pohlman says.

The two have talks about how they are going through so many changes at this age and they give each other permission to make mistakes, Pohlman says. 

“It helps to have things in common,” Pohlman says.

Pohlman says it is also important to have differences in what you are interested in and the way you are as a thinker because it keeps things interesting and you can learn from one another.

Pohlman says her and Laszlo like to buy experiences for each other such as music festival tickets. She explained when you buy these types of experiences for each other you have sincere confidence you are with this person.

I am a senior at Western Washington Univeristy studying communication studies and public relations. I love to read, write, hang out with friends, shop and love my dogs!