I Attended a #NoDAPL March and This is What I Learned

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WWU chapter.

Leading chants of “Water is Life” and “The people united will never be divided”, Western Washington University students, members of the Lummi Nation, and those from the greater Bellingham community gathered this past Thursday to express solidarity with those at Standing Rock.  The event began in Red Square at 2pm, with members from the Lummi Nation speaking out against the Dakota Access Pipeline, and committing to support protesters at Standing Rock. 

The demonstration coincided with a visit from Governor Jay Inslee, who would be in Miller Hall later that day to urge students to vote in the upcoming election.  The group waited for Governor Inslee to appear, to challenge him to show his support for Standing Rock by urging President Obama and other political figures to reject the pipeline.  Organizers of the demonstration urged Governor Inslee to sign a document declaring his support for those at Standing Rock, and when he refused to sign and subsequently left the building, protesters marched down Holly Street to the DEM Building. 

In the midst of the crowd and carrying a sign that read “Water is Life”, I found myself realizing the importance of voter involvement in the political process.  The freedoms protected in the First Amendment to the Constitution, specifically freedom of speech and peaceful assembly, must be invoked by citizens to express what is perceived as unjust.  We must be involved in the political process, and elect politicians that represent us, to ensure that our voices are heard.

My name is Julia, and I'm currently a freshman at Western Washington University. I love hiking and the outdoors, and drinking way too much tea.