sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Halloween Costumes: The Pressures for Girls to Dress ‘Sexy’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WWU chapter.

It’s that time of year again. Time for the candy to come rolling in and the costumes to start rolling out.

Halloween, the one time a year where you can be anyone or anything that you want. From creative and comedic costumes like Shark Week, Sharknado, or any other miscellaneous shark themed costumes that may or may not already exist, to your classic Ghost or Zombie Costumes. Whenever Halloween runs around it’s always fun to help your friends decide what to be, and look at all of the ideas that others have come up with.

Only for many girls out there it can feel like there is only one option. After all, as said by the famed comedy Mean Girls, “Halloween is the one night a year when a girl can dress like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it.”

As a female, if you have ever attempted to go costume shopping you’ll find yourself with an infinite amount of choices of limited options. You can be anyone and anything you want as long as it includes a low cut top and a short skirt that barely covers your butt. Costume companies go out of their way to make the most obscure and ‘sexy’ costumes for girls to wear out in to the blistering cold on Halloween night, and for what purpose?

What’s even worse is how dumb some of these costumes get. From Sexy Lobster Costumes to Sexy Mrs. Potato Head. The lengths that some costume companies will go to sexualize sea creatures and children’s cartoon characters have far surpassed embarrassing.

But many of these horrendous costumes are the only available options out there for the many girls who want to dress up on Halloween, making this fun night much harder to prepare for than necessary if you don’t want to waltz out in what is essentially costume lingerie.

The expectation for women and girls to dress ‘sexy’ during Halloween because ‘they want to do it’ is a deep misconception and ideal that has been placed on us. In fact, believe it or not, the idea of leaving the house on a cold night in lingerie is not the ideal situation for most girls.

So for those girls, I implore you, seek out different costumes for Halloween. There are many companies out there who actually sell proper costumes for girls, and if not, then get creative with it. Make your own costume or pick a favorite cartoon character that you share a sense of style with and go out in to the night at full confidence. But if you do enjoy your sexy costumes, you can still go out and do you. Afterall, Halloween is the one time a year where you can be anyone and anything you want, even if that thing is a Sexy Lobster. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRPf_H9X9PE