Five Fun Ways to Stay Active This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WWU chapter.

The bitter cold of winter makes for such a difficult time to get up and active. Your New Year’s resolution to get in shape starts to fade and guilt sets in. Gym motivation is gone and hibernation sounds just about as good as it gets. We know this struggle all too well. Here are five fun ways to stay active this winter.

1. Two words: Hot Yoga

Hot yoga is a great way to detox and get out of the winter chill. Most studios, such as Elements and Bikram Hot Yoga Bellingham, offer student discounts. You will sweat more than you ever have and it will feel fantastic!

2. WWU Rec Center

The idea of running outdoors in the dead of winter can be miserable enough to land you back in your warm, cozy bed with Netflix and a steaming cup of (insert favorite hot beverage here). That’s why we opt for the indoor track at the rec. If running isn’t your thing, Wade King Rec Center also has a climbing wall, an aquatic center, intramural sports and a variety of fitness classes. The best part? It’s climate controlled.

3. Take a Hike!

We mean that in the nicest way possible. Bellingham is known for its abundance of picturesque views and scenic trails. Oyster Dome Trail, off of Chuckanut drive, is a 6.5 mile out and back hike sure to get your heart pumping. While Oyster Dome offers a view of the Sound and the San Juan Islands, you may choose a less strenuous trail. Fragrance Lake is a 5 mile out and back hike, which is more suited to beginner’s but still provides breathtaking views.

4. Go Ice Skating

Even though ice skating doesn’t feel like a workout, it offers surprising fitness benefits. Certified skating coach, Kristin Kunze writes “You use a lot of small stabilizer muscles that don’t get a workout in day-to-day life, in particular those around your hips, knees and ankles. Strengthening those small muscles helps you in other activities, like running, skiing and yoga”. Who knew?! Check out the Bellingham Sportsplex to ice skate! 

5. Use a Home Workout DVD

Secondhand stores like Goodwill and Value Village are great places to find cheap workout videos led by fitness gurus from Jillian Michaels to Bob Harper. Workout DVD’s burn stress, burn calories, and gym attire is not required. Bonus points if you can get your roommates to workout with you!