Five Events to Get Involved in the Western Community This Quarter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WWU chapter.

1.  Attend An Event at the Underground Coffee House

With Open Mic Night every Tuesday and the Wednesday Night Concert Series, the Underground Coffee House is the place to be.  Stop in for a London Fog or a quick cup of coffee, and enjoy some Jazz (February 1st and 22nd), or form a team for Trivia Night.  Make sure you don’t miss Comedy Open Mic, or Karaoke Night on February 11th.

2.  Check out the Performing Arts Center Events Schedule

From Thursday February 4th to Saturday February 13, Western’s Department of Theatre and Dance is presenting The Ballad of Ginger Goodwin.  Focusing on the dreams of immigrants and the battle for workers rights, the play focuses on the death of Albert “Ginger” Goodwin, a coal miner.  The play features music from the period, and will be directed by Kathleen Weiss, on sabbatical from the University of Alberta.

3.  No Carver, No Problem! Support the Basketball Teams at WCC!

The renovations on Carver Gym won’t be complete until Spring 2017, meaning Men’s and Women’s home basketball games are being held at Whatcom Community College.  A short drive away from campus, WCC boasts an updated gym for volleyball and basketball, and is host to the 2015-2016 season.  Come cheer on your fellow Vikings, listen to the Viking Band, and dance for a chance to win a free slice of pizza.

4.  Get Your Groove on With Swing Kids

Meeting every Wednesday in the Viking Union Multipurpose Room, Swing Kids start at 7 pm, with a lesson until 8 pm, and open dance after that.  If you’ve always wanted to learn to swing dance, now’s your chance, so come down to the MPR, and bring your dancing shoes!

5.  Watch Dynamic Earth at the Spanel Planetarium

Watch the award-winning Dynamic Earth, which explores the earths climate system.  Narrated by Liam Neeson, audiences will witness the heart of a hurricane, and the heart of volcanoes, as well as have a face-to-face view of sharks and whales.  Located in Haggard Hall, the Spanel Planetarium is playing Dynamic Earth on Thursdays and Saturdays throughout winter quarter, and tickets cost $10.

My name is Julia, and I'm currently a freshman at Western Washington University. I love hiking and the outdoors, and drinking way too much tea.