DIY Decor! A ‘How To’ to creating palette art

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WWU chapter.

What’s better than a good ole DIY arts-and-crafts project? When Pinterest is your best friend, and crafting is second nature to you, why not try out a few DIY’s? We crafted a little something for our kitchen. Out of what you might ask? PALETTES!

Start with your materials. Here we have gathered: one palette, wooden letters of your choice (we chose E, A, T for the hangry girl within, but feel free to choose something that speaks to you), a basket of your choice, wood glue, fire fly lights, batteries, wood stainer, glitter, you name it. Feel free to add or take away anything, this is your project, so make it fit who you are!

We chose to wood stain our letters and basket to give our finished product more of a rustic look. Feel free to skip this step or tweek it however you please. 

Glue is definitely our best friend throughout this DIY process. We glued everything with this Crafter’s Pick ultimate super glue from Ben Franklin Crafts and Frames. Make sure ample time is given in order for this glue to dry for the best results. 

Don’t forget to glue any pieces (like our battery packs for our fire fly lights!) that might not show but are still needed for your palette art!

Want some light to your artwork? We recommend fire fly lights! These adorable itsy string lights are perfect for lighting up any arts-and-crafts! Check out more Pinterest crafts with fire fly lights HERE!

Now sit back and admire your masterpiece! Do it for the Insta, or more likely do it for yourself. Art-and-crafts is a great way to have fun, let our your creative side and maybe relieve some stress. Projects are a great way to take a break from tedious homework that might be weighing you down. 

Need some ideas for what to create for your palette art? Pinterest has got you covered!

Kylee Morgan. WWU. 21 years old. Communications and PR enthusiast. WWU Campus Correspondent.