Danika Miller ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WWU chapter.

Name: Danika Miller

Hometown: Puyallup, WA

Year of Graduation: 2016

Major: English Creative Writing

How have you gotten involved on campus?

I’m a part of a wonderful university ministry called the INN. I also volunteer for Back to Bellingham, play a ton of intramural sports, and write for Western’s chapter of Her Campus.

What is your ultimate career goal?

I hope to be one day be working at a Children’s/Young Adult Book Publishing company in NYC, London, LA, or Chicago. Maybe write a New York Times Bestselling novel on the side, eventually star in its movie adaptation and then marry Harry Styles.

What is your favorite thing about Western?

The location! Bellingham is the ultimate college town and our campus is absolutely beautiful. You can find yourself at a mall, movie theater, or relatively urban downtown and then hiking on top of a mountain, kayaking on the bay, or walking around the Whatcom Falls—All in the same city!

What’s something on your Western bucket list?

I still have yet to visit Mt. Baker, and I’d like to try snowboarding. I’ve never stepped foot in the fountain either, I feel like that should be done. And I want to go to Ryan Stiles’ Upfront Theater.

Where is your favorite place to study?

The Underground Coffeehouse

What do you like to do in your free time?

I’m usually always reading something, but I also like to play soccer or volleyball, hammock, shop, try new things during the minimal free time I do have.

What’s your favorite TV show?

All time favorite show is definitely The Office.

What’s your most memorable moment at Western?

I accidentally stole someone’s cat for four months because we thought it was a stray. In my defense, there was a hole in it’s ear, it was very skinny and we found it by a dumpster.

What’s something most people would be surprised to learn about you?

I worked in Disneyland for eight months last year! I did the Disney College Program and it was basically the best thing that ever happened to me.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

In five years I’d be 26, hopefully working in publishing, possibly have written a few novels, regardless of whether they’ve actually gotten published. I see myself having lived in a new and exciting city by that time too.

What advice would you give to incoming freshman?

Participate! It all flies by 100x faster than you expect it to and things will only get busier.