andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Cookies and Condoms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WWU chapter.

The Cookies and Condoms event took over campus, moving from one dorm lounge to the next over the last month.

This event was put on by RAs and RDs who feel it is important to inform their residents of the risks and technicalities to being sexually active. It is estimated that there are approximately 20 million newly contracted STD/STIs yearly in the US, with nearly 50% being contracted by young people between the ages of 15 to 24, although they represent just 25% of the sexually experienced population.

Demonstrations were given as students and RAs sat around munching on double stuffed Oreos listening with varying degrees of attention. Naturally, many students just popped their head in the room long enough to pocket a handful of condoms or an information brochure. Still, others stayed through the entire presentation and participating in the speakers’ safe sex pop-quizzes and instructions. 

The best part of Cookies and Condoms might be how inclusive the sex education was; the speakers did a great job of including multiple sexuality examples, as well as information about a wide range of sexual encounters other than just intercourse, and how to make these encounters safer, of course!

In addition to information about practicing safe sex, information about personal health was provided.

As young adults, talking about sex can be uncomfortable. By creating a comfortable environment (and drawing a crowd with cookies, no less!) the pressure is lessened greatly to ensure maximum information retention. 

As young adults, it is important to know your protection options and resources whether or not you choose to engage in sexual activities or not. Carrying protection and knowing where to go incase plans go astray is key is important regardless of sexuality or gender identity. 

Don’t be a statistic!

For more information on safe sex and Western’s health services, you can check out the prevention and wellness center’s website at  http://www.wwu.edu/pws/sexual_health_information_sessions.shtml

Freshman at Western Washington University pursuing a Visual Journalism degree and as many adventures as possible. I love hammocking, writing, reading, smiling, coffee, ice cream, and popcorn.