Coming Soon to Bellingham: Spring!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WWU chapter.

I love spring.  The air is fresh, the birds are chirping, and best of all, the flowers bloom.  Not to mention, spring is full of the new fawns and baby bunnies- perfect to see on a daytime hike or stroll.  Even though the official first day is just less than a month away, I could not be more excited for Spring.  I don’t know about you, but after the near-constant gray that is winter here, a sunny day and light breeze is just what I need to feel refreshed and energized for the rest of the season.  Want to best take advantage of the upcoming good weather?  Here are some events you can attend to make the most of my (and hopefully yours too) favorite time of year.

Skagit County Tulip Festival

Located on multiple tulip farms throughout Skagit County, the tulip festival is the perfect chance to enjoy the flowers. Designed as a driving tour to take you through multiple locations throughout Skagit County, where you can encounter wineries, breweries and homemade jams.  You can even take a helicopter tour of the festival to get a birds-eye view of the activates.  Make sure to stop by, the festival is running from April 1st to April 30th.

Pike Place Market

Looking for a weekend trip or day outing?  Having grown up just outside of Seattle, I would be a traitor if I didn’t recommend Pike Place market.  I’ve spent many a Saturday taking the light rail into the city to visit.  Take the Bolt Bus from Bellingham, or hop in your car for a drive, and visit the market.  Located above Seattle’s waterfront, the market is full of fresh produce and flowers, as well as art and other forms of incredible workmanship.  Stop by Beecher’s for some of the best mac and cheese, and make sure you take the obligatory picture in front of the first Starbucks.  And don’t forget to stop buy the gum wall, located down Ghost Alley, to leave a piece of gum.

Boulevard Park

You don’t need to go far to have a good time.  For those living on campus, or without cars, Boulevard is just a short walk or bus ride away.  Great for runs along the pier, and morning picnics, the park is a great place to get away from the stress of college, if even for only an hour.  Walk along the paths and look out at the water, or sit on one of the many rocks that edge the path, and take some time to think and relax (one of my personal favorites). 

Wherever your adventures may take you, make sure you get outside and enjoy the changing seasons around you.  Being in the Pacific Northwest, we’re all lucky to have many opportunities for hiking, or getting outside, so make sure to make the most of that!

My name is Julia, and I'm currently a freshman at Western Washington University. I love hiking and the outdoors, and drinking way too much tea.