Breanna Sankey: Fashionista, Blogger, and Scholar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WWU chapter.

Lover of all things fashion, Breanna Sankey brings her passion for style alive through her online fashion blog, as well as collecting an impressive array of accomplishments as a senior here at Western. Sankey, a Seattle-native, is excitedly anticipating graduation this quarter with a Bachelor’s Degree in Communication Studies and a minor in History. Though fashion is her main focus, Sankey also finds enjoyment in the great outdoors and she loves to bake, cook, read, and paint.

With the idea in mind for about a year, Sankey finally started her blog in July of 2014. “I love clothes and fashion and have always loved looking at other bloggers I follow online to see what they wear and how they style clothes. Everyone has their own personal style and I wanted to share mine as well as connect with other people who have the same passions as me,” she shares. Her blog reaches about 2,000 regular viewers and is continuing to grow.

Sankey emphasizes that the most essential piece to the success of her blog has been the photos she shares modeling her own styles. She schedules photo shoots for nearly every blog post in order to ensure high-quality photos. “My friend Breanna takes most of my photos, she is awesome! I met her my sophomore year through mutual friends and she is a great photographer who has always been willing to shoot for me. My friend Jonathan has also taken some photos. He is a photographer in the Seattle area who I have also worked with in styling a few of his shoots. I contact all my photographers and ask when they are free and what works for them because I like to work around their schedules. I take all the photos of products and things that I am not in,” explains Sankey.

One amazing thing that comes out of fashion blogging is making connections with companies who want bloggers to review, endorse, and publicize their products. “There are usually two ways that collaboration can go. I get sent items and feature them on my blog; this way I get free clothing to showcase and they get cheap publicity. I am always required to link their page and tag them if they have an Instagram. The other way that it works is to do a giveaway. This means that I get a product and post a giveaway on my blog, usually on Instagram as well, and to be entered to win you must follow me and the company and then comment on my photo.” Sankey notes that one of the most exciting collaborations was when Triangl Swimwear sent her an adorable pink swimsuit. “It’s literally the coolest thing. I get so pumped when I get an email or DM on Instagram from a company wanting to collaborate or send me items,” she remarks.

Sankey admits that blogging is more work than it may seem on the surface. She spends at least an hour each day, and often way more, e-mailing other bloggers and companies who may send her clothing or accessories. Though it may be time consuming, Sankey says she has a blast in the process. Her Instagram account, which has over 2,100 followers, is another tool she uses to make contact and stay connected with these companies. Sankey notes that there are many small components that go into blogging such as taking into consideration the timing of each post and which social media platform will draw the most attention. When she writes, she wants it to be relatable. “I write in a way that sounds like I am talking to you. I want my audience to be able to relate to me and imagine themselves wearing the clothes I post.”

Fully backed by her supportive parents, Sankey finds encouragement in her family members and blog readers. “Blog readers are so supportive! I read the nicest comments and people are so friendly.” She adds, “My grandparents have my site bookmarked on their computer and like to ask me about where I got the clothes or to explain something I wrote when I see them. It’s fun to have their support and connect with them over something I love.”

“My blog also works double as a resume builder for applying in retail because employers can see my passion put to work.” In preparation for her fast-approaching graduation, Sankey has applied for a Retail Management internship at Nordstrom and is currently in the interviewing process. She has high hopes for this internship, but of course this go-getter girl has a plan B. “If I don’t end up getting that, I am going to apply for a regular job at Nordstrom or look around at other jobs in the fashion industry,” she says.

Aside from blogging, Sankey has made an impact in the Communication Studies department through her scholastic work. Last spring quarter, her Media Literacy professor submitted a paper that Sankey wrote on the effects Pinterest has on young women to Scholar’s Week. “This is a week of meetings, presentations and speeches celebrating the hard scholastic work of select students in each major at WWU. I was able to present my research to a Communication Theory class, as well as having the opportunity to present it to the other professors teaching in this major. Along with my paper, I created a large poster that I got to present to a panel of judges, and then again at an all day event on campus,” Sankey describes. “It was interesting to see what other research was being done by students in majors different than mine and how we could find common ground although we have unique interests. This was a great opportunity to showcase my research skills, ability to convey information clearly, and love for connecting with people and making a difference!” This girl who has a knack for all things fashion, is also making waves through her academic studies.

When asked what she likes best about blogging, Sankey responds, “I think my favorite part is the connections I have made. I really enjoy meeting new people and finding women who love fashion as much as I do.”

Check out Breanna Sankey’s blog:www.xoxoblynn.comFollow Breanna Sankey on Instagram:@breannasankeyTake a look at her photographers, Breanna and Jonathan:www.breannamariephotography.comwww.jonathangipaya.com

I am a junior at Western Washington University majoring in Communication Studies and minoring in Psychology. I am a country music addict, a Seahawks fan, a lover of animals, & I enjoy travelling.