sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Ariana Nazari: Music Enthusiast

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WWU chapter.

Ariana Nazari, Communication Studies major, Public Relations minor, a music enthusiast and this week’s campus celebrity!

As a Western Student, Nazari is emerged in the various genres that float throughout Western’s campus and Bellingham. She put together a music conference on campus in 2013, and currently assists with production and promotions for Downtown Bellingham’s Wild Buffalo House of Music and Buildstrong Productions.

Working on a team of four WWU students, Nazari says that she facilitates on campus promotions. This consists of many tasks, and on the day of the show she has to arrive when the artists and crew load-in. She then helps familiarize them with the venue, print out pre-sale tickets, oversee sound check and create staff advances or “very important matters” in other words.

“At the Buff, I have had the opportunities to work so many great shows!” Nazari said. “Some that jump from my brain is Kymani Marley, Ekali, Beat Connection, The Dip, El Ten Eleven, Manatee Commune, Reva Devito and Zion I.”

Of the many she has worked, Nazari finds it difficult to choose a favorite genre and a favorite performer.

“This is a very hard question, but I think I would go with the show I attended on Dec. 8! Slow Magic, Giraffage and Lindsay Lowend! It was a sold out show, and Giraffage KILLED it!”

Slow Magic playing at The Wild Buffalo show Nazari attended, Dec. 8

When working these shows, Nazari learns the ins and outs of the music business. She even gets to see the little quirks that some performers make a ritual before they go on.

“For example, I saw Zion I doing lunges right before his set” Nazari said.

Nazari also wrote a blog for the Western Front titled “Backstage Access”. She created this in order to inspire other students and individuals interested in the music industry. She was also able to gain a lot of inside scoop by talking to people already in the business.

In the future, Nazari hopes to experience tour managing at one point, but also makes it a goal to be a lead producer for a festival or production company. After graduation however, she plans to take it easy down under. She will be moving to Australia for the year to de-stress and clear her mind while working and living there.

Although pursing in the music industry hasn’t been all that easy, Nazari said she has built up a thick skin to make that one “yes” worth it in a sea of “no’s”. She encourages underclassmen to get involved in the things they love early in order to connect with like-minded individuals.

“What I love about shows is that only people who know what happened at show are those who attend,” Nazari said. “Shows can be such a huge bonding experience! Also, watching the way music impacts people in the crowd is also one of my favorite parts about any show.”

Nazari (left) at Sasquatch music festival 

Kylee Morgan. WWU. 21 years old. Communications and PR enthusiast. WWU Campus Correspondent.