This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WWU chapter.

Name: Anye Turner

Age: 22

Hometown: Olympia/Tumwater

Relationship status: In a relationship

Grad Date: Spring 2016

Major: Biology

Jersey: #10

Q: How did you choose your major?

A: I took a botany class when I went to South Puget Sound [community college] and my teacher was super passionate and it was just really fun.  From then on I was interested in plants and then as I took more science classes I was just fascinated by the whole field.

Q: What is your favorite food?

A: I like burritos a lot. Breakfast burritos probably are my favorite.

Q: What is your favorite book?

A: The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

Q: What is your favorite movie?

A: I’ve been rockin with “8 Mile” since middle school it seems like, and it’s still up there as my fave.

Q: Are you a cat or dog person?

A: Cat yeah, I love the kitties. I’ve got some cat food at the crib. There’s a neighborhood cat that’s just chillin. I’m waiting for it to come back it hasn’t come back for a long time. Nobody else in the house wants it back in, but I said “if it comes in I’m feeding it, you’re gonna have to deal”.

Q: What is your favorite part about Western:

A: I’ve met a lot of cool people at Western, and there’s a lot of stuff to do.  There’s a lot of different events that are not focused around one group necessarily.  I think there’s a lot of all-inclusive type of events and people that are open minded and stuff.  So it’s been cool to learn a lot of new things and hang out with new types of people.

Q: Do you have any hobbies?

A: I play a lot of basketball. Outside of basketball I play games on the IPad.

Q: Who is your celebrity crush?

A:  Just one? Gabrielle Union is probably number one. When she got married I decided it was time to move on and pursue my own relationships. Oprah is number two actually.

Q: Describe your perfect date:

A: I like food and movies. So you know, keep it simple. I’m not too high-maintenance. Whatever makes my lady happy. My girlfriend likes McDonalds, so we can go to McDonalds and get a Redbox.

Q: What is your life motto?

A: Control what you can control. That’s important. There are a lot of external factors that can really bring you down. Just try to control what you can control, don’t sweat external stuff too much.

Q: Where do you see yourself 5 years from now?

A:  Hopefully with a solid little job. I want to coach basketball, I think that would be cool to hang out with kids, I don’t know what age- could be children, could be like teen agers, high schoolers. I think that would be cool.  Some sort of studying or research or some involvement with biology and hopefully involved with basketball still.

Q: What is something people don’t know about you?

A: I don’t like football. I have a Patriots hat and I just bought it because it was 50 cents and it was a bill hat and I wore it the day after the Seahawks won the NFC championships. Just wearing it you know,  and I didn’t watch the games and didn’t realize the significance and people were getting on me about it. 

Q: What are your Superbowl plans?

A: Well, I am going to pick my girlfriend up from Seattle and then probably go to her house hopefully and I think some of my roommates will come over and hang out and eat food and I guess watch the game too. Maybe take a nap- who knows?

Q: Who are your heroes?

A: My mom definitely. She’s a big person in my life, a great role model.  I’ve had a lot of good coaches. In high school Thomas Roswell- he was a stud. My AU couch John Kiley, and coach Dominguez right now. I’ve had a lot of good coaches that are good role models.

Q: What inspires you?

A: My mom does a lot, because she’s worked so hard throughout her life and made sacrifices to better herself and the situation for me and my sister. I’ve taken that to heart and you know kind of tried to live with the same sort of morals and be a hard worker and take advantage of the opportunities presented to me.

Q: Is there anything on your WWU Bucket List?

A:  I still haven’t gone to Oyster dome. Which is kind of ridiculous. That’s like a standard thing and I still haven’t gone. And I’ve been up here the last two summers and still haven’t done it. That’s definitely something I need to do before I leave.

Q: What is the best job you’ve ever had?

A: I used to work for Dave Vernon in Tumwater parks and rec and just got to do score board for all the games which was really fun. You just chill and watch some basketball and click some buttons for a couple hours. Not much to it.

Q: If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?

A: Probably Spain, because it just intrigues me.  Some Spanish kids came this summer for a basketball trip, and I got to meet them. They’re all really cool and I want to learn Spanish. Or Puerto Rico again, Puerto Rico is really fun.  We [the varsity basketball team] went earlier this year, they also speak Spanish. A lot of cool people, cool culture. And it’s beautiful all the time, warm beach, warm water, sandy beaches.

Q: What are three things you couldn’t survive the day without?

A: I like to listen to music a lot, I do eat a lot of food- very important, and just hanging out talking to friends. It always brightens up my day seeing roommates or my girlfriend or teammates, or Carly [the reporter].

Q: Who are your favorite musical artists?

A: J Cole, I like him a lot, he just dropped a new album I thought was fantastic. I might get a lot of flack, but I like Kanye a lot, sorry. Nipsey Hussle.  I’m mostly a hip hop rap guy. Lauryn Hill I like a lot, R&B.  DRAKE, drake drake. Ooh Joey would have been mad at me if I didn’t say Drake.

Q: If you could have any superpower, what would it be?

A: It would be cool to be able to listen to people and stuff- it might not be good though, cause maybe a lot of people don’t like me and then they say that in their brain, and then I hear it- that would be rough.  You know what I would love? To be able to eat dairy products and be ok. That’s not necessarily a super power but that would be fantastic because I’m lactose intolerant and everybody loves to go and get ice cream. 

Q: What are you excited for in the future?

A: Children. I think it would be really fun to have kids, which is kind of weird to say. I don’t want them for a long time, but I think it will be fun to have children. I think kids are just really funny and [it would be awesome] to be around them a lot. I mean there will be bad times too, but I think it will be fun.  

Carly is a senior at Western Washington University where she is majoring in Political Science and minoring in Ancient Greek Language.  She was the 2013-14 Associated Students Presdident and is currently serving as the Governor-appointed Student Trustee of WWU. Her interests include playing music with Well Wishers (www.facebook.com/wishersofwell) and keeping up on what's happening in Olympia.