Adam Ahmed ’19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WWU chapter.

Meet Adam Ahmed, who’s living in Ridge Sigma this year.

What made you go to western?

It was between UW and WWU, and UW was too close among other things.. I feel like it’s too big of a school. I wanted college to be more intimate. 

How are you liking it so far?
It’s decent. I can sleep, eat, and be comfortable here. I haven’t slipped on wet bricks in Red Square yet, so that’s a good sign. 

What’s your favorite class?
Philosophy, because I like thinking about thinking a lot, and challenging my beliefs. 

What beliefs have you challenged thus far in your life?
I was raised Muslim. After a point, there was a lot of stuff that I didn’t agree with. I don’t see how you can hate love and stuff, I think that’s kinda dumb, in regards to the beliefs on homosexuality.

Do you think that it’s important for people to challenge their beliefs?
I can’t speak for everybody, like if you’re comfortable doing what you’re doing then good for you. But I’d recommend it just for myself, just because it’s worked for me and i like expanding my thinking, going out of the box, and treading out of known water. Some people are really comfortable staying in their comfort zone but that’s never been me. 

Do you have a life Philosophy? 
I like Different. Different is better than the same old stuff. I for one am very… I don’t know how to say dynamic without sounding pretentious…but I like change and I like things to be moving. I can’t be exposed to doing the same stuff over and over again without completely losing interest. 

How do you keep the balance between schoolwork, and keep your life interesting and moving during the school year when it can be so easy to fall into the routine you just described to hate?
One: I am prescribed address for ADHD. It’s terrible. I could get into it more but I won’t
Two: as much as it kills me to keep routine, I understand that theres a point where you can’t always be doing what you want to be doing.

Well, if you could do exactly what you want to, right now, what would you be doing?
I haven’t skydived, so I’d probably start with that. I mean, It’s a little dark out right now but maybe tommorrow. And try Poutine. 
Favorite Quote: “Everything is ecstasy inside, we just don’t know it because of our thinking minds.” by Jack Kerouac 
Music: Metal Face Doom
Favorite movie: Space Jam… or Akira. 

What’s your favorite color?
Purple—like imagine a psychedelic, funk-edelic car in your head with the bright purple and orange? Yeah, that’s the kind of purple I like.  

Freshman at Western Washington University pursuing a Visual Journalism degree and as many adventures as possible. I love hammocking, writing, reading, smiling, coffee, ice cream, and popcorn.