6 Must-Do Hikes in Bellingham

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WWU chapter.

One of the best things about going to school in Bellingham is the opportunities for adventure that surround you! There are always new hikes and areas to be explored. Here are 5 you must do while you are in the area.

1. Oyster Dome

Oyster Dome is a 6.5 mile roundtrip hike located along Chuckanut Drive, about 12 miles outside of Bellingham. You can expect sights of Samish Bay, Lummi, Vancouver and Orcas Island, and the Olympic Mountains.

2. Raptor Ridge

A trail less traveled on than Oyster Dome, yet highly underrated is Raptor Ridge. Raptor Ridge is about 5 minutes from Fairhaven district along Chuckanut Drive. It’s just about 7 miles roundtrip and offers views of the Oyster Creek watershed and dense forests.

3. Fragrance Lake

Fragrance Lake is on Chuckanut Drive about 7 minutes outside of Bellingham. It’s a 5.5 mile hike roundtrip. When you reach Fragrance Lake, you will know! Tall evergreens enclose the water and you will catch the scent of pine on the breeze.

4. Lost Lake

If you are feeling particularly adventurous, continue onto Lost Lake trail from Fragrance Lake for more beautiful sights and another 5.5 miles. 

5. Lake Whatcom Trail

If you are looking for an easier hike, opt for the Lake Whatcom Trail. Located just a few minutes from campus, 6 miles roundtrip, and only 100 feet gained in elevation, the trail provides giant evergreens, streams, waterfalls and lake views. 

6. Chuckanut Falls

Another hike that’s more gentle is the trail to Chuckanut Falls. Along Chuckanut Drive, the Falls is just 10 minutes from Bellingham. This hike begins at Hemlock Trail and is 5 miles roundtrip.

Here are just 6 of the beautiful hikes in Bellingham for all of you adventure seekers out there!