100 Most Dangerous Days for Teenage Drivers Fast Approaching

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WWU chapter.

Starting on Memorial Day and lasting through Labor Day Weekend, the most dangerous days for teenage drivers are soon approaching.  Although for many of us in college our teenage years have come and gone, the dangers of unsafe driving and other hazards still pose a threat.

In 2012, nearly 1,000 people were killed in car cashes involving teenagers, from Memorial Day to Labor Day, and over half of those killed were teenagers.  It makes sense; students are on summer break, staying out later and oftentimes driving with multiple others in their cars.  Unfortunately, you can only control yourself and your own actions, and hope that others make responsible decisions as well.  First and foremost, don’t drink and drive.  Not only could you potentially injure yourself or your friends, but you could cause life-changing damage to an innocent bystander who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Drive safely, and follow traffic laws and regulations (I know that can be difficult to do at times, and I myself am guilty of speeding). 

Unfortunately, the decisions of others can impact your life, but by taking simple precautions, you can keep yourself and your friends safe.  As we all wrote in our yearbooks in middle school, “H.A.G.S.”, or have a great summer!

My name is Julia, and I'm currently a freshman at Western Washington University. I love hiking and the outdoors, and drinking way too much tea.