Yoga – Find What Feels Good!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

Have you been feeling the weight of wanting to get healthier? To start working out and toning your body but you don’t know where to begin?

I was in that boat about a week ago when I discovered a great 30 Days of Yoga program to ease into the practice of making my body healthier through a workout that was made for me.

Go to YogaWithAdriene.com and check out her About video that tells you about her and her group she co-founded, “Find What Feels Good”, an online library of Yoga materials to help you whether you’re just starting to practice yoga or if you just want to push a little farther and go a little deeper. http://yogawithadriene.com/adriene-mishler/

Adriene’s videos are funny and welcoming, but also challenging. She encourages you to do what you can and listen to your body. Eventually you’ll hit the poses perfect, but you first have to begin exploration. Just like a treasure map leads you on a path of exploration to find a hidden treasure, so does yog lead you down a path of exploration in your body to understanding yourself and your strength.

I’m working through the program “30 Days of Yoga”. The first day eases you into beginning yoga. You don’t have to have any special equipment to begin. The only requirement is comfy clothes and a willingness to work hard. A mat and a block/pillow/blanket are helpful, but most certainly not required. Sign up on her website and she will give you access to a calendar where you can write down key words or phrases that you focused on during your practice that day. 

What is great about this program is that you don’t have to be of any skill level when you begin this program. You can be a SuperHero Yogi, or you could be like me and a Baby Yogi, learning to walk and balance and build healthy practices to carry you as you learn about your body and all of the amazing things it can do.

You can really learn a lot about yourself and the strength you have inside from doing yoga. It’s stretching you to new levels you didn’t know where possible. Somedays you feel “OUCH!” but then “Ah!” Other days, there’s popping and cracking as the body naturally sets itself into alignment and you “Find What Feels Good”.

I invite you to join me, Adriene, and the rest of the “Find What Feels Good” community of yogis as we learn to enjoy going to the mat, working out our kinks, becoming stronger, and finding what makes us feel great!

Adriene’s welcome letter says,

“Yoga is really the art of waking up. Getting back to the true you. It can be that simple. Yoga offers up a way for us to see a world that is working for you instead of against you.  Yoga reminds me that everything is connected so we must live, act, dance, breathe with awareness. If the journey really is the reward, then by golly I choose to enJOY the journey. I hope you will join me.”

Also check out Yoga at the Wesleyan Wellness Center on Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 5 p.m.!

2015 graduate, and part of the founding HerCampus WVWC team, Stephanie now works as a Technical Writer for a technology contractor in Bridgeport, WV. Stephanie married her husband, JR, in October 2014, and together they have one toddler girl who is stealing their hearts and sanity one day and one dumped bowl of crackers at a time.
A public relations major with a passion for social media, the arts, and all things Disney, writer Corinne Weaver hopes to bring some Her Campus flare to WVWC. Weaver performs with the WVWC Theatre and Dance department, is a sister of Alpha Delta Pi, and interned at the National Aquarium in the Summer of '14! This Co-Editor-In-Chief will always love her close-knit hometown of Oakland, Maryland, but looks forward to opportunities to branch out in the future. Follow her @CorinneWeaver4 on Twitter and Instagram!