Weight Training for Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

If you are like most girls, you probably have your doubts about weight training, whether it be the fear of venturing into the weight room jungle, or “getting big.” Well, I can’t really help you out on the jungle part, but I can give you some valuable insight about your body and its response to lifting weights.

For starters, the thought that a female will “get big” is a myth. Without any sort of drug use, a female is very unlikely to grow muscle like a male, for multiple reasons. The main reason this is true is women have 10% the testosterone as men, which is the main component in muscle size gains. Women are more likely to see more muscle tone rather than massive size with a weight training program.

If weight room apprehension is what’s holding you back, find a time of day when the gym is less busy, such as the mornings or later at night. You could also take a few sets of dumbbells into the multipurpose room and do your exercises there.

The Nautilus machines are a good option as well, and they are safer and easier to use correctly than some of the more difficult free weight exercises.

So throw away those fears of weight lifting and give it a shot! You’ve got nothing to lose, but a life of good health and prosperity to gain.

A public relations major with a passion for social media, the arts, and all things Disney, writer Corinne Weaver hopes to bring some Her Campus flare to WVWC. Weaver performs with the WVWC Theatre and Dance department, is a sister of Alpha Delta Pi, and interned at the National Aquarium in the Summer of '14! This Co-Editor-In-Chief will always love her close-knit hometown of Oakland, Maryland, but looks forward to opportunities to branch out in the future. Follow her @CorinneWeaver4 on Twitter and Instagram!