Top 3 Best Jobs for College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

As the semester draws to a close and the end of the school year starts weighing on everyone’s minds, preparations for summer seem to come full force. If your summer will likely involve a job of some sort but you have yet to begin job hunting, these three jobs have been identified by Forbes and the website, Payscale, as some of the best for college-age young adults who do not yet have a degree. As an added bonus, all three typically require less than three years of experience working and no more than 32 weekly hours.

1. Massage therapist. Earning a median hourly wage of $22, some massage therapists can often earn a job with a positive recommendation or connection, though licensure is sometimes required. Hours are often self-set, with a wide possibility for evening or weekend business. Strong networking and outreach skills are necessary, as most massage therapists must attract their own clients. However, social media (already common among the college population) could prove quite helpful with gaining patrons.

2. Dental receptionist. The second best job for college students, according to Forbes and Payscale, is working as a dental receptionist, a position which earns a median hourly wage of $14.10. The schedule for working in this setting is substantially less flexible and would involve routine hours, but would of course make an appealing option for anyone interested in the dental field.

3. Nanny. Working as a nanny (which makes a $12.80 median hourly salary) is more time intensive, but likely more profitable than sporadically babysitting throughout the summer. However, be prepared to provide references and possibly be required to have some previous experience with children, as well as to be held to a fixed schedule throughout the summer. 

These three positions, while often commonly overlooked, have proven to be good in particular for college students because of their earning potential without requiring a degree and the comparatively minimal requirements in terms of official experience. So, if you find yourself stuck in a rut when it comes to your summer job search and you are convinced nearly every lifeguarding or food service position must have been filled, consider searching in your area for openings in one of these fields!

Maty recently graduated Summa Cum Laude from West Virginia Wesleyan College (WVWC), and she couldn’t be more excited to return to the Her Campus family as a member of the Community Team.  Maty’s passion for writing has guided her through most of her adult life, and it eventually brought her to to the Her Campus Chapter Network as a Style Blogger for Her Campus WVWC. Maty would go on to become Campus Correspondent of her chapter, as well as an intern for Her Campus National and a Chapter Advisor.  Through her different roles at HC, Maty quickly fell in love with the mission and purpose of the Her Campus Chapter Network—and in her new role, Maty has the rare and coveted opportunity to do what she loves on a daily basis by working with a growing network of 360+ college chapters.    When Maty isn’t at the office, she’s usually out exploring, cooking some random recipe she found on Pinterest, or cuddling with her adorable corgi, Winnie.  Follow Maty on Twitter and Instagram !