Top 10 Fashion Myths Debunked

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

Because fashion is ever changing, it can be almost impossible to keep up with all the do’s and don’ts of the fashion world. However, there are emerging ideas that can lead you on the wrong path. Let me set the record straight with my own personal countdown of the top 10 fashion myths.

10. Myth: Mixing bright colors is a disaster.

Fact: Mixing bright colors can actually look quite chic and trendy, if worn correctly. When in doubt, add a dark neutral to help soften the look. The key is to keep the accessories and makeup minimal so you can really let the color combination be the star of the show!

9. Myth: White after Labor Day

Fact: I’m sure you’ve heard the rule a million times, but unless you are going mud wrestling, it is your right to rock this stunning neutral—no matter what the calendar says.  White is a classic neutral and can look clean and crisp in any season. The key is to swap the white sandals for a nice cardigan, overcoat or scarf. This way, the color evolves with the season and keeps you looking fabulous.

8. Myth: Black and blue is a sin.

Fact: Because of the faux pas of black and navy, this myth has evolved into black and blue only being suitable for bruises. The truth is, it’s all about the tones. If you let your tone of blue go too dark, you run the risk of letting the colors blend, which makes it look like a matching fail. To be safe, stick with the lighter shades of blue and never pair black with anything darker than royal blue.

7. Myth: High heels look more sophisticated than flats.

Fact: While this may come down to personal taste, high heels on their own do not bring instant sophistication. No matter your height preference, high heels do affect your posture is a positive way (as long as you can walk in them.) However, you can achieve this same posture improvement in any shoe. Remember: shoulders back, chin up, chest out—and you’re ready to go!

6. Myth: You can’t wear sparkles during the daytime.

Fact: While some prefer to leave the sparkles to the accessories, you can amp up the sparkle in your clothing as well, day or night. Just keep in mind, if you are going to do sparkle in your clothes, tone down the accessories. Paired with other neutrals, even a sequin top won’t look too Vegas for daylight hours.

5. Myth: If you have a small chest, you don’t have to wear a bra.

Fact: It does not matter what cup size you were blessed with: YOU MUST WEAR A BRA! If you think that it’s not noticeable, it is! Not only that, but it completely changes the way clothing fits you. So please, for everyone’s sake, please support your girls with a good bra.

4. Myth: Only tall and skinny people look good in fashionable clothes.

Fact: This is a toxic myth that has so many beautiful girls feeling self-conscious. If something is unflattering, 9 times out of 10 it is because you are wearing the wrong size or the style or cut of clothing simply doesn’t suit you. Don’t let the runway models convince you that style isn’t attainable. Every body is different and the key is to 1) find your size and 2) love the skin you’re in.

3. Myth: You get what you pay for.

Fact: Despite the labels, price is never a definite indicator of quality. A company charges you what they think you are willing to pay, not necessarily what an item is worth.  The best way to be safe is to do your research. Know what to look for to get the most for your money and make sure that the item has practicality in your life before you drop a few hundred dollars on a handbag.

2. Myth: If it zips, it fits.

Fact: There is nothing worse than ill-fitting clothing. As What Not To Wear’s Clinton Kelly states: “If you don’t have fit, you don’t have style.” So forget about the number on the size label and make sure you get the clothing that flatters your shape.

And finally…

1. Myth: More skin = More sexy!

Fact: While it is all well and good to feel sexy, showing too much skin walks the very fine line between sexy and trashy. Not to mention, it can be intimidating to guys and alienating to other girls. The best way to keep the elegance is to choose one feature to play up. If you have great legs, then show them off and keep the cleavage covered. If you have a sexy back, then go for an elegant open-back dress and keep the front covered and classic. If you want to show the girls, see number 5 (but keep it classy).

Remember, sexy is a state of mind and confidence completes any ensemble.

So now that you have separated fact from fiction, you are ready to take on any fashion challenge!

Stay classy, ladies!

I am adopted from Russia and was raised in West Virginia. I am a double major in English (Writing Concentration) and Musical Theatre. I love art in many different forms be it writing, singing, acting, drawing/painting, or design. I adore fashion and it has helped me become the person that I want to be in life. I am a very open person and love talking to people, so feel free to ask me anything! I am honored to be a part of the Her Campus team and I hope that my writing will bring you a smile. If I'm not in the theater or typing up my version of the great American fashion column, you can always hear me coming from the click of my heels. My advice to all: Stay classy!
Maty recently graduated Summa Cum Laude from West Virginia Wesleyan College (WVWC), and she couldn’t be more excited to return to the Her Campus family as a member of the Community Team.  Maty’s passion for writing has guided her through most of her adult life, and it eventually brought her to to the Her Campus Chapter Network as a Style Blogger for Her Campus WVWC. Maty would go on to become Campus Correspondent of her chapter, as well as an intern for Her Campus National and a Chapter Advisor.  Through her different roles at HC, Maty quickly fell in love with the mission and purpose of the Her Campus Chapter Network—and in her new role, Maty has the rare and coveted opportunity to do what she loves on a daily basis by working with a growing network of 360+ college chapters.    When Maty isn’t at the office, she’s usually out exploring, cooking some random recipe she found on Pinterest, or cuddling with her adorable corgi, Winnie.  Follow Maty on Twitter and Instagram !