Ten Tips for Wesleyan’s Class of 2021

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

1. Go to the Yard Sale on the First Day of Orientation

As someone who didn’t know anything about life at West Virginia Wesleyan, I just floated around my first day of orientation after everything was done. There’s a time when all the things that were left behind the year before are sold off, and that’s when you can get things like refrigerators and microwaves cheap! Try and make time for it. I know from experience that the first few days will be hectic, but it’s too good of a deal to let pass you by.

2. The Food in the Cafeteria isn’t Always the Best…

Make sure to allot some of your funds towards food. More often than not you will wonder into the cafeteria and realise that the main things that they’re offering isn’t really your cup of tea. To avoid starving your first semester here, make sure you have meals back in your dorm. Avoid things like Ramen and instead invest in the $1 or 94₵ meals. Even meals like Ravioli and Spaghetti Os might be a better idea than making yourself sick.

3. On that Note…

While the food in the Café isn’t always the best, make sure you aren’t gravitating towards the pizza bar and getting ice cream every day just because it’s there. There is soup, salad, and sandwich bars available alongside all the other food lines. Also, near the cereal and drinks, there are bins with apples, oranges, or bananas in them. Nutrition is important, kids! Just because you have every day, twice a day access to pizza and ice cream doesn’t mean you should cash in on it.

4. Friendly Moveout Week

I know one of my biggest fears when I first came was that my roommate and I wouldn’t get along. However, if you and your roommate don’t get along, it is possible for you to switch to another room about three weeks into each semester. It’s called “Friendly Moveout Week,” and it’s saved quite a few people from biting their roommate’s head off. Also, it allows you to choose to go the “Double as a Single” route if need be.

5. Invest in a Blanket for Outside

When it’s warm in Buckhannon, one of the best things to do is grab a large blanket, spread it out near the Oval, Holloway, Haymond, or Camden. I learned quickly that it’s the best way to soak up sun and read for my Literature classes without distraction. Or, if you don’t want to risk bugs crawling all over you, many people buy hammocks. There are plenty of trees all over campus suitable for hammocks, and it eliminates most of the “Mr. Ant, get off my book” moments.

6. Talk to Your Professors

Our campus is small and so are our classes. There’s thirty people or so, at most, in any class at a time. If you were able to develop a personal relationship with teachers in high school, you can do it here, too! The professors here are understanding people who make a point to learn your name. Also, swing by their office during office hours. It doesn’t even have to be for a question about class; you could swing by to talk about the game on Friday or perhaps a show that you both watch. Especially talk to the professors in your major, since it’s likely you’ll see them a lot. Plus, if you talk to professors in your major, you’ll have a better idea of who your academic advisor could be.

7. Take Advantage of What WVWC Offers

Bobcat Entertainment is an organization whose goal is to make every weekend exciting for Wesleyan students. While there isn’t much variety in Buckhannon proper (especially if you don’t have a car), half the time it’s impossible to notice with everything BE puts together for the students. Movie showings, DIY nights, and even concerts- BE creates the variety. Plus, it’s all either free or very cheap.

Other free things on campus include a gym (the Wellness Center inside Jenkins Hall), the Health and Counselling Center, and a game room on the first floor of Benedum Campus Center. All of these things are free, so don’t be afraid to use them. Plus, if the Swim Team isn’t practicing, the pool in Benedum is open to students as well.

The Counselling Center

The Health Center

The Game Room

The Events Schedule for April & May

8. The River Walk

Something I just recently discovered is the River Walk that trails around the soccer and baseball fields. It’s a lovely path that follows the river and shows some of the indigenous flora of the area. A great place to jog, bike, or walk along with friends. Also, depending on what time of day you go, it can also be a great time for petting dogs if you miss your pet.

9. Get Involved!!

Wesleyan prides itself on how much its students give back to the community. There are sooooo many organizations on campus that it’s impossible for anyone to not be involved in something. There’s WE LEAD through the Center for Community Engagement, which is broken up into teams that focus on various social issues. Greek life is big on campus as well, with about a third of the students being involved in a sorority or fraternity. There are also organizations such as Psi Chi (for psychology majors), Sigma Alpha Iota (for music majors), and Omicron Delta Epsilon (for economic majors) that are honors societies or fraternities for individual majors. Beyond that even are groups such as the Black Student Union, PRISM (the Gay-Straight Alliance),and Bobcat Entertainment.

Life is just so much better when you’re involved on campus. I refused to participate much in high school, but being at Wesleyan makes it impossible not to be involved. Also, it’s a way to fill up the down time beyond binge-watching Netflix shows.

10. Hidden Treasures

There are several little things around campus that I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention. First is The Rock. (Not Dwayne Johnson!) No, The Rock is a large rock near the English Annex and the Chapel that is painted frequently by different organizations and even by staff. It’s hilarious to see what is painted there each time it changes.

The fire pit is also pretty cool. A gift from a previous class, the pit is reserved and then used by various groups for s’mores and other fun events at night. Even when not lit, the stone benches circling the pit are great for a place to read or talk shade with friends in private.

The Auxiliary Gym is perfect for people who want to just shoot hoops without the stress of being on the actual court. Often a place for large groups to practice, the Aux Gym is open to everyone. (Don’t be like me and think that when people say Aux Gym, they’re saying “oxygen.” It just rolls off the tongue sometimes, and I spent a full month of my first semester thinking that it was something sciencey.)

Finally, I’d be stupid if I didn’t mention Café Libros! A café inside the library, Café Libros sells coffee, tea, and various sweets. A 12-ounce is $1, 16-ounce is $1.50, and a 20-ounce is $2. They sell cookies, brownies, little cakes, and other confections that are made locally by a place on Main Street called Fish Hawk Acres. If you’re planning to spend the evening in the library or have an early class in there, consider bringing some cash (they don’t accept cards) and get a coffee or something. They even have flavorings.

Just a small town girl living in an even smaller college town. I'm an Accounting major at WVWC in hopes of someday going to law school. I enjoy coffee, jumping in puddles, & petting the locals' dogs when they take them for walks on campus.