Sustaining Self Image

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

The hard truth is, we live in a world where we are judged by our appearance. However, sometimes your toughest critic can be yourself. So what do you see when you look in the mirror? Understanding how we form our self-image (along with a few fashion tips) can help us silence the negative thoughts and find our confidence!

So why is fashion such an important part of our self-image? The answer lies in our self-confidence. When we look good, we feel good. This alone gives us confidence and a mood boost! Think about it: when we dress up, people take notice. They talk to us, compliment us, and we feel happy for them taking the time to give us positive attention.

On the other hand, people also take notice when we dress like we just don’t care. Not only does this send very negative impressions of sadness, exhaustion and (I’m sorry) laziness, but it does nothing except give us negative attention.

Think of it this way: when we are sick, we dress in things with no style because we are ill, tired and upset. When you dress like this out in public on a normal day, you still look ill, tired and upset. Not to mention, the last thing you look like you have is confidence.

Some women love to dress up, but they look for confidence in all the wrong ways. Whether it be distastefully tight clothes, revealing way too much skin, or caking on globs of makeup, being desperate for attention is not going to bring you confidence and definitely not a good self-image. There is nothing wrong with wanting to feel sexy, but remember that sexy is a state of mind. You can feel sexy without wearing clothes that border on lingerie. Above all, when you want to dress to impress, remember: “Your dresses should be tight enough to show you’re a woman and loose enough to show you’re a lady.” – Edith Head

The media may not be helping with the role models of painfully thin or plastic looking women they plaster on billboards and television. But you don’t have to look far for your role models. Think of the women who have made a positive difference in your life or the women who made history standing up for what they believed in. You can find the people who inspire you and examine their personal values.

In the end, you decide what you find beautiful. Taking care of yourself is the best way towards building a healthy and magnificent self-image and life. So, don’t be afraid to take time to make yourself feel beautiful. Take that newfound confidence wherever you go!

Stay classy, ladies!

I am adopted from Russia and was raised in West Virginia. I am a double major in English (Writing Concentration) and Musical Theatre. I love art in many different forms be it writing, singing, acting, drawing/painting, or design. I adore fashion and it has helped me become the person that I want to be in life. I am a very open person and love talking to people, so feel free to ask me anything! I am honored to be a part of the Her Campus team and I hope that my writing will bring you a smile. If I'm not in the theater or typing up my version of the great American fashion column, you can always hear me coming from the click of my heels. My advice to all: Stay classy!
Maty recently graduated Summa Cum Laude from West Virginia Wesleyan College (WVWC), and she couldn’t be more excited to return to the Her Campus family as a member of the Community Team.  Maty’s passion for writing has guided her through most of her adult life, and it eventually brought her to to the Her Campus Chapter Network as a Style Blogger for Her Campus WVWC. Maty would go on to become Campus Correspondent of her chapter, as well as an intern for Her Campus National and a Chapter Advisor.  Through her different roles at HC, Maty quickly fell in love with the mission and purpose of the Her Campus Chapter Network—and in her new role, Maty has the rare and coveted opportunity to do what she loves on a daily basis by working with a growing network of 360+ college chapters.    When Maty isn’t at the office, she’s usually out exploring, cooking some random recipe she found on Pinterest, or cuddling with her adorable corgi, Winnie.  Follow Maty on Twitter and Instagram !