Stylish Spring Cleaning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

Let’s be honest, “Spring Cleaning” is not always the most rewarding thing in the world. However, when it comes to your wardrobe, taking the time to go through your closet can leave you with a brand new style without spending a dime! And who doesn’t want a free wardrobe? With these tips on stylish spring cleaning, you and your closet will be ready for a fresh start. 

1. Clean it out. The first task is to pack up the bulky winter gear. This makes room for your spring clothes and helps give you a better sense of what you have. You’d be surprised how much can get buried under winter coats and fluffy scarves. Once your closet is physically clean, you can not only take stock of what you have, but you then have better organization. 

2. Downsize. The key is, to attain that new space, it never hurts to downsize your current wardrobe. Start small. See how much room is freed up when your winter clothes are stored away. Then look at your old favorites and see what you forgot about. Keep the basics and the classics. If it doesn’t fit, it has no place in your wardrobe. 

3. Learn to let go. We all have our old favorites, but sometimes fond memories can keep us holding onto an article of clothing that really has no place in our lifestyle. It can be hard, but sometimes we have to learn to let go. Remember, sentimental value is not the same as style value. What do you see when you look at it: something that brought you happiness or something that will continue to bring you happiness? 

If you come across an item that you feel torn about, ask yourself these questions:

• Do I love it?
  • Do I actually wear it?
  • When was the last time I wore it?
  • Does it fit?

4. Try it on. Just to reiterate, when in doubt, try it on. See how it fits and how it makes you feel. Try different combinations, color schemes or accessories to bring new life into an old standby. If you want a second opinion, ask your best friend what she thinks and you can clean out each other’s closets together! Remember that it’s all in good fun. Compliment yourself. Laugh at yourself. Relish the memories and look toward the future. 

So, go have fun discovering the forgotten jewels waiting for you in your closet. All in all, you will have a fresh start by falling back in love with your wardrobe!

Stay classy, ladies! 

I am adopted from Russia and was raised in West Virginia. I am a double major in English (Writing Concentration) and Musical Theatre. I love art in many different forms be it writing, singing, acting, drawing/painting, or design. I adore fashion and it has helped me become the person that I want to be in life. I am a very open person and love talking to people, so feel free to ask me anything! I am honored to be a part of the Her Campus team and I hope that my writing will bring you a smile. If I'm not in the theater or typing up my version of the great American fashion column, you can always hear me coming from the click of my heels. My advice to all: Stay classy!
Maty recently graduated Summa Cum Laude from West Virginia Wesleyan College (WVWC), and she couldn’t be more excited to return to the Her Campus family as a member of the Community Team.  Maty’s passion for writing has guided her through most of her adult life, and it eventually brought her to to the Her Campus Chapter Network as a Style Blogger for Her Campus WVWC. Maty would go on to become Campus Correspondent of her chapter, as well as an intern for Her Campus National and a Chapter Advisor.  Through her different roles at HC, Maty quickly fell in love with the mission and purpose of the Her Campus Chapter Network—and in her new role, Maty has the rare and coveted opportunity to do what she loves on a daily basis by working with a growing network of 360+ college chapters.    When Maty isn’t at the office, she’s usually out exploring, cooking some random recipe she found on Pinterest, or cuddling with her adorable corgi, Winnie.  Follow Maty on Twitter and Instagram !