The Stages of Coffee Addiction

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

For many, college is the time when coffee addiction begins. Unless, of course, you’re like me and began drinking a cup every morning at the age of fifteen (I may truly never know if that’s the reason why I’m so short.) Most collegiettes experience at least some level of coffee addiction―and here they are!

The “I Only Drink Coffee During Finals Week”

These are the kind of people who have a very low level of caffeine dependency. They only drink coffee when they need to, i.e, when they pull an all-nighter to study during finals week.

The “Triple Mocha Extra Sugar and Whipped Cream on Top”

We can all admit that super sweet coffee drinks are yummy from time to time, but these coffee drinkers can only sip on 500 calorie drinks that are guaranteed to give you a sugar high. They truly hate the taste of coffee, unless it’s loaded with sugar and can satisfy their caffeine craving.

The “One Cup in the Morning”

These are the steady, consistent coffee drinkers. They have a single cup every morning before they head to class in order to help wake them up and get their day going. I would consider them borderline dependent.

The “I Can’t Function without It”

Those who depend on coffee will not only drink their one cup in the morning but several more throughout the day. They love the taste of it and don’t know how they’d make it through their day without crashing if they didn’t have it.

The “What Do You Mean You Don’t Drink Coffee?”

Coffee is an essential part of life for these people. They live and breathe for coffee. These people never sleep and get frequent caffeine headaches when they go without. Not drinking coffee is practically a crime to them. A question they commonly ask non-coffee drinkers is “How do you manage your life without it!?”

So, collegiette, be honest with yourself―what kind of coffee drinker are you?

Just a small town girl living in an even smaller college town. I'm an Accounting major at WVWC in hopes of someday going to law school. I enjoy coffee, jumping in puddles, & petting the locals' dogs when they take them for walks on campus.