This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.
I really enjoy watching Gilmore Girls. I’m not exactly to the point of Dr. Who fandom, or the SuperWhoAvengeLocks, but I enjoy watching Gilmore Girls a good bit.

Some of my favorite episodes of Gilmore Girls were when Rory was starting a new year of school. We can relate to the excitement of the fresh, new beginning that Rory felt with each new school year. Like Rory, I myself have to figure out the best routes to class (although I was so overwhelmed going into this semester that I totally forgot to do that), and I want to be there early and have everything “just so.” But is it ever easy to decide which classes you’ll actually take? Not usually.

When Rory started her first year at Yale, I was really intrigued by a first-week orientation program they had when it came time to choose classes. On the show, Yale had this idea called “Shopping Week.” The first week of the semester was when students could try out as many classes as they wanted, and, by the end of the week, they chose the classes and professors that appealed to them the most.

Every time we go to pre-registration and registration, I think about Shopping Week. Why can’t Wesleyan try this sort of thing? I mean, no one would see me for a week because I would be too busy taking all of the classes on campus to simply try them out, but I wouldn’t care. It would be fun, and it would really benefit students. I take great enjoyment in learning about a wide variety of topics. What is life if you don’t learn all that you can, if you don’t take delight in all of the truths in the world? Life itself would probably have less meaning. It’s possible that we could waste our lives if we didn’t take every opportunity we could to learn something new.

This blog post probably won’t reach the Board of Trustees and cause a vote to go out, but it’s just thinking and sharing.

What do you think? Would you take advantage of Shopping Week if Wesleyan were to ever offer it? Comment below, or share you thoughts on our Facebook or Twitter pages!

2015 graduate, and part of the founding HerCampus WVWC team, Stephanie now works as a Technical Writer for a technology contractor in Bridgeport, WV. Stephanie married her husband, JR, in October 2014, and together they have one toddler girl who is stealing their hearts and sanity one day and one dumped bowl of crackers at a time.