Sarah Hartman ’16 – Star of Anne of Green Gables

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

Theatre performers sometimes talk about being “type-casted” in roles, where their onstage characters are similar to their own personalities. 

Sarah Hartman plays the leading role in this spring’s play, Anne of Green Gables, and her fun-loving personality and warm heart seem to flow right from real-life to the stage!

Sarah is a junior Elementary Education major from Madison Heights, Virginia.

In addition to her work as the leading lady of the spring play, she is a sister of Alpha Gamma Delta and a Resident Assistant for Dunn Hall. She is also pumped to be going to the Bahamas with the education department this May.

The cast has been rehearsing for about 3 hours, 6 days a week for 2 months to prepare for their performance. In addition to learning blocking and memorizing a ton of lines, Sarah had several costume changes and fun technical elements (like smearing chocolate on her face and pretending to break a slate over someone’s head!) to master too.

“I am so excited to be playing this role,” said Sarah. “Aside from theatre, I also love long walks on the beach and making people laugh.”

Anne of Green Gables is based of the L.M. Montgomery book about a young, rambunctious, red-haired girl who comes to live with an old couple on Prince Edward Island, Canada. She is quirky, over-dramatic, and gets into a lot of sticky situations. The audience is taken on a journey from her childhood adventures at Green Gables through her growth into an intelligent young woman. 

Catch the show March 26th-28th at 8 p.m. and the 28th at 2 p.m. in the Virginia Thomas Law Center for the Perfoming Arts! Admission is $3 for students with a Wesleyan ID and $7 for the general public.

A public relations major with a passion for social media, the arts, and all things Disney, writer Corinne Weaver hopes to bring some Her Campus flare to WVWC. Weaver performs with the WVWC Theatre and Dance department, is a sister of Alpha Delta Pi, and interned at the National Aquarium in the Summer of '14! This Co-Editor-In-Chief will always love her close-knit hometown of Oakland, Maryland, but looks forward to opportunities to branch out in the future. Follow her @CorinneWeaver4 on Twitter and Instagram!