The Perfect Guacamole

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

Read the Cosmopolitan Snapchat story, and you’ll probably see at least one mention of avocados or guacamole. People have been raving about this delicious dish recently, but do you know how to make it for yourself? It’s even quick and easy enough to make in your dorm room! Lucky for you, I am going to teach you everything you need to know to make your own fresh guacamole.

To make fresh guacamole, you will need the necessary materials and ingredients. First, gather a knife and cutting board to cut the avocados and chop the ingredients, a fork to mash the avocados and stir in other veggies and spices, and a bowl to mix it all together. Next, gather your ingredients. What you use is completely to you, but the most common ingredients are avocados (duh), tomato, onion, cilantro, jalapeno, lime juice and salt. 

If you’re just making a small dish (enough for you and a few friends) 1 and a half to 2 avocados should be plenty. However, you can also make this for a large group of people. Bring a bowl of guacamole to a party, and you’ll be a hit—but don’t let someone swap it for wasabi (that’d be a really mean party prank). The amount you use will differentiate depending on the number of people you are making it for.

First, you will need to chop/dice your tomato, onion, cilantro and jalapeno. The size you dice them into is preferential. You will need about two spoonfuls of tomato, cilantro and onion (if you are using two avocados).  If you choose to add jalapeno, the amount you add will depend on how hot you want your guacamole to be. 

Next, prepare the avocados. The avocados need to be ripe, so make sure there is a little give when you press on the skin; they should be soft, yet firm. Remove the pit, then scoop out the inside into a large bowl. Using a fork, mash the avocado until smooth. Add in your preferred amount of tomato, cilantro, onion and jalapeno, then stir it all together. Add about one-half teaspoon of salt and a few drops of lime juice. Stir together well, and taste your guacamole, making adjustments if necessary. That’s it! The perfect, home-made fresh guacamole of your dreams.

The most common way to eat this dish is as a dip with tortilla chips. However, there are many ways to enjoy your guacamole. Load your tacos with fresh guac, add it to your salad, enjoy as a condiment on your favorite burger or sandwich, or use it as a dip for vegetables, bread, or pretzels instead of chips. You could always order it from a restaurant or buy some at the store, but making it is so much more fun.

Get creative, make this dish your own, and experiment a little! Enjoy your guacamole, collegiette! 

DIY and John Mayer enthusiast. I watch Elf year-round, eat bdubs way too often, and sing way too loudly. I'm a psychology major at West Virginia Wesleyan College, my home among the hills. 
Maty recently graduated Summa Cum Laude from West Virginia Wesleyan College (WVWC), and she couldn’t be more excited to return to the Her Campus family as a member of the Community Team.  Maty’s passion for writing has guided her through most of her adult life, and it eventually brought her to to the Her Campus Chapter Network as a Style Blogger for Her Campus WVWC. Maty would go on to become Campus Correspondent of her chapter, as well as an intern for Her Campus National and a Chapter Advisor.  Through her different roles at HC, Maty quickly fell in love with the mission and purpose of the Her Campus Chapter Network—and in her new role, Maty has the rare and coveted opportunity to do what she loves on a daily basis by working with a growing network of 360+ college chapters.    When Maty isn’t at the office, she’s usually out exploring, cooking some random recipe she found on Pinterest, or cuddling with her adorable corgi, Winnie.  Follow Maty on Twitter and Instagram !