Life > Experiences

An Open Letter to My Grandfather, Taken Far Too Soon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

Grandpa,

It seems so unreal that you are no longer here on earth with us. I think back to the times we had together and I thank God for every second I was able to spend with you. I know we were blessed to have you for as long as we did, but sometimes I want to be selfish and wish I had you for longer.

I wish you had been there to watch me graduate. I wish you would be there to someday watch me get married and have a kid, but I know you’re in a better place. People always say it gets easier over time, but I don’t see that to be true. Holidays are now really hard for the whole family. I miss going to your house and watching a football game. I miss waking up at your house in the morning to you being the only one awake so we would talk until everyone else woke up. I miss your constant picking on me.

There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t wish you were still here with me. How different life would be if you were still here amazes me. However, the realization that you are in a better place eases the pain a little because I know that you are no longer in pain. Thank you for the constant love and support for 16 years of my life. Thank you for being a constant reminder that there is always a time for fun and games. Thank you for showing me that life should never be too serious because laughing and joking around is the best medicine for anyone.

Most of all, thank you for the memories that I will forever keep close to my heart and I will cherish until the day we get to meet again. I love and miss you grandpa!

Love,

Your grandchild

WVWC 2022 Exercise Science Major I enjoy photography and the outdoors