This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

This Mom-inspired Dungeons & Dragons alignment chart features many types of mothers we all know or have seen from shows like “Dance Moms,” “Gossip Girl,” and “Gilmore Girls.” Each type includes the D&D alignment description, “Mom type” definition, and character examples.

1. Lawful Good: Your friends call her “Mom” Mom

“A lawful good character acts as a good person is expected or required to act. He combines a commitment to oppose evil with the discipline to fight relentlessly. Lawful good is the best alignment you can be because it combines honor and compassion. Lawful good can be a dangerous alignment when it restricts freedom and criminalizes self-interest.”

This is the Mom that says “my house is your house.” She was the mother in the neighborhood that respected your freedom while checking in to see if you needed anything. She stands up for what is right always and she’s likely active with the right intentions. Character Example: Florence Henderson –“Brady Bunch,” Marion Cunningham –“Happy Days.”

2. Neutral Good: Fitness Mom

“A neutral good character does the best that a good person can do. He is devoted to helping others. Neutral good is the best alignment you can be because it means doing what is good without bias for or against order. Neutral good can be a dangerous alignment when it advances mediocrity by limiting the actions of the truly capable.”

Her kids probably never drink soda and she offers her healthy recipes to other moms in the neighborhood. This is the Mom that tries to mold herself and others into the best and healthiest people that they can be. She is positive and sees potential in everyone. Alison Sweeney –“Biggest Loser.” Leigh Anne Tuohy –“The Blind Side.”

3. Chaotic Good: Soccer Mom

“A chaotic good character acts as his conscience directs him with little regard for what others expect of him. He makes his own way, but he’s kind and benevolent. He believes in goodness and right but has little use for laws and regulations. He hates it when people try to intimidate others and tell them what to do. He follows his own moral compass, which, although good, may not agree with that of society. Chaotic good is the best alignment you can be because it combines a good heart with a free spirit. Chaotic good can be a dangerous alignment when it disrupts the order of society and punishes those who do well for themselves.”

It’s not the parent themselves that exude chaotic energy but their insane schedules that earn these Moms the chaotic good title. Though they have every hour of the week planned out, they recognize when it’s time for their family to vacation or spend more quality down-time together. Their effort goes towards helping their children be involved and successful much like themselves. Character Example: Rebecca Pearson –“This Is Us.”

4. Lawful Neutral: Working Mom

“A lawful neutral character acts as law, tradition, or a personal code directs her. Order and organization are paramount to her. She may believe in personal order and live by a code or standard, or she may believe in order for all and favor a strong, organized government. Lawful neutral is the best alignment you can be because it means you are reliable and honorable without being a zealot. Lawful neutral can be a dangerous alignment when it seeks to eliminate all freedom, choice, and diversity in society.”

Working Moms work to give their families the best life possible, but can also be work-a-holics, not allowing for much time to freely spend with their families. They will do most anything for their child. It is their drive to provide for their families that give them the title of lawful neutral. Character Example: Riley Parks –“The Client List,” Meredith Grey –“Grey’s Anatomy,” Nancy Botwin –“Weeds.” Mrs. Gump –“Forrest Gump.”

5. True Neutral: Wine Mom

“A neutral character does what seems to be a good idea. She doesn’t feel strongly one way or the other when it comes to good vs. evil or law vs. chaos. Most neutral characters exhibit a lack of conviction or bias rather than a commitment to neutrality. Such a character thinks of good as better than evil-after all, she would rather have good neighbors and rulers than evil ones. Still, she’s not personally committed to upholding good in any abstract or universal way. Some neutral characters, on the other hand, commit themselves philosophically to neutrality. They see good, evil, law, and chaos as prejudices and dangerous extremes. They advocate the middle way of neutrality as the best, most balanced road in the long run. Neutral is the best alignment you can be because it means you act naturally, without prejudice or compulsion. Neutral can be a dangerous alignment when it represents apathy, indifference, and a lack of conviction.”

These Moms are the truest form of Mom. Their kid fell off a swing? “You’re OK, get back up and go play.” They are probably the most chill Mom and know how to balance their personal and family needs. They are experienced mothers and offer some of the closest friendships. Character Example: Morticia Addams –“Addams Family”, Reba McEntire –“Reba.”

6. Chaotic Neutral: Over-protective Mom

A chaotic neutral character follows his whims. He is an individualist first and last. He values his own liberty but doesn’t strive to protect others’ freedom. He avoids authority, resents restrictions, and challenges traditions. A chaotic neutral character may be unpredictable, but his behavior is not totally random. He is not as likely to jump off a bridge as to cross it. Chaotic neutral is the best alignment you can be because it represents true freedom from both society’s restrictions and a do-gooder’s zeal. Chaotic neutral can be a dangerous alignment when it seeks to eliminate all authority, harmony, and order in society.

This Mom cares for their family but exude an anxious, chaotic energy while doing so that can be detrimental to the people they’re trying to help. They help too much, often becoming over-bearing and tend to restrict freedom in favor of protection. However, they truly do it out of love and care. Character Example: Marie Barone –“Everybody Loves Raymond.”

7. Lawful Evil: “I’d like to speak to the manager” Mom

“A lawful evil villain methodically takes what he wants within the limits of his code of conduct without regard for whom it hurts. He cares about tradition, loyalty, and order but not about freedom, dignity, or life. He plays by the rules but without mercy or compassion. He is comfortable in a hierarchy and would like to rule, but is willing to serve. He condemns others not according to their actions but according to race, religion, homeland, or social rank. He is loath to break laws or promises. This reluctance comes partly from his nature and partly because he depends on order to protect himself from those who oppose him on moral grounds. Lawful evil creatures consider their alignment to be the best because it combines honor with a dedicated self-interest. Lawful evil is the most dangerous alignment because it represents methodical, intentional, and frequently successful evil.”

This Mom. Yes -this Mom. We all know one. That mother who refuses to have her or her family’s values and best interests trampled on. She was probably the one taking up all the time with one of your teachers at parent-teacher conferences, or speaking with your coach after a bad loss. Again, she does it to protect her family, but surely isn’t there a less conflictive, embarrassing way? Character Example: Roseanne Barr –“Roseanne.”

8. Neutral Evil: Gossip Mom

“A neutral evil villain does whatever she can get away with. She is out for herself, pure and simple. She sheds no tears for those she kills, whether for profit, sport, or convenience. She has no love of order and holds no illusion that following laws, traditions, or codes would make her any better or more noble. On the other hand, she doesn’t have the restless nature or love of conflict that a chaotic evil villain has. Some neutral evil villains hold up evil as an ideal, committing evil for its own sake. Most often, such villains are devoted to evil deities or secret societies. Neutral evil beings consider their alignment to be the best because they can advance themselves without regard for others. Neutral evil is the most dangerous alignment because it represents pure evil without honor and without variation.”

This Mom likely has good standing amongst the popular crowds and you’ve definitely heard her name in school. She was involved with the PTO and probably had large dinner parties or went out a lot. She insists that her child get the best of everything even if it is at the cost of others. She might seem friendly.. but never get on her bad side. Character Example: Peggy Bundy –“Married With Children,” Emily Gilmore –“Gilmore Girls.”

9. Chaotic Evil: Dance Mom

“A chaotic evil character does whatever his greed, hatred, and lust for destruction drive him to do. He is hot-tempered, vicious, arbitrarily violent, and unpredictable. If he is simply out for whatever he can get, he is ruthless and brutal. If he is committed to the spread of evil and chaos, he is even worse. Thankfully, his plans are haphazard, and any groups he joins or forms are poorly organized. Chaotic evil beings believe their alignment is the best because it combines self-interest and pure freedom. Chaotic evil is the most dangerous alignment because it represents the destruction not only of beauty and life but also of the order on which beauty and life depend.”

Abby Lee Miller of Lifetime’s “Dance Moms” would be a classic example of the chaotic evil Mom type. Often ruthless, these mother’s will get what they want. They can be driven by hatred and greed, and can be hot tempered. These mothers live vicariously through their children and set them up to unrealistic expectations. They were probably involved with cheerleading or gymnastics. They are judgmental and self-centered but will set their children up to do what they didn’t. Character Example: Abby Lee Miller –“Dance Moms,”

Class of 2020 Communication Studies major at West Virginia Wesleyan College from Flemington, WV. 
My name is Gabriella Sayger, but everyone calls me Gabby! I am a sophomore majoring in English and still deciding on minors! I am destined for law school! I play golf, my favorite book is "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen, and I love Sushi! I'm hoping for an amazing year! Go Bobcats!