This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

“Laugh as much as you breathe, and love as much as you live.”

This week’s campus celebrity is a kind-hearted Junior who has some exciting news about an upcoming workshop at Wesleyan that is both informative and interesting! Miriam Cook, an elementary education major from Summersville, West Virginia, tells us a little bit about herself:

Why did you choose Wesleyan?  Both of my parents and several other family members graduated from Wesleyan.  I also went to SYC, Summer Youth Celebration, every summer from 6th-12th grade at Wesleyan.  I always loved the campus and size of the school, as well as the personal relationships that students can establish with professors.

What activities involved in at Wesleyan?  Zeta Tau Alpha, Service Scholar, Alpha Lambda Delta, National Society of Leadership and Success, Kappa Delta Pi

Best memory/memory at college?  My best memory at college would be joining Zeta Tau Alpha because, by joining such an amazing organization, I have met wonderful women that have the same values and interests as me. I always have someone to talk to and be with during those late nights of studying. Zeta has made my college experience wonderful and led me to friendships that I always hold close to my heart.

Hobbies?  I enjoy working out and living a healthy lifestyle, kayaking with my mom and dog, Oakley, being in nature (camping, hammocking, hiking), crafting occasionally, reading and spending time with friends and family

Future plans?  I plan to be an elementary education teacher, preferably first or fourth grade (I know that is a big difference, but they were my favorite grades in elementary school and I really like the concepts taught in each grade).  Not in the near future, but not too far off either, I look forward to having my own children to guide and teach them all the wonderful things my mother taught me.

Any special talents?  I’m really good at loving and taking care of my dog.

Favorite place to be?  Definitely the beach.  I could live at the beach for the rest of my life and be happy.

Now that we know a little about Miriam, here’s some information about the workshop she is helping organize! 

What is Bright Pink/Workshop?  Bright Pink is a non-profit organization that focuses on the prevention and early detection of breast and ovarian cancer in young women (ages 18-45).  They are a new sponsor of Zeta Tau Alpha and are partnering up with several organizations and industries all over to help reach these young women!  The sisters of Zeta Tau Alpha will be hosting a BrightenUp workshop to help inform young women and men on campus about the early signs and symptoms of breast cancer. The workshop will last approximately an hour.

Who can go to the workshop?  Anyone!  We would love anyone interested to attend the workshop. We are encouraging other Greek affiliated women to attend the workshop to help spread the awareness of this devastating illness, but our goal by fall of 2017 is to reach not only the students on campus, but the community members of Buckhannon. RSVP is required for the event and you can do so by texting RSVP to 59227, we hope to see you there!

When is it? The workshop is on November 5, at 11:00 in the Social Hall.

Junior Public Relations major. I have an obsession with my dog and every form of coffee.