The Makeup Starter Pack for Beginners

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

Hello, gorgeous collegiette! Have you ever worn makeup before? If the answer to that question is no, and you’re totally clueless as to where to start or how to apply it, keep reading. I put together a “starter pack” with simple yet high quality products and materials that are extremely handy to have if you’re interested in entering the world of cosmetics. 

1. Your makeup case. The first thing you’ll need is a place to keep your makeup.  The size and style of what you will need depends on how much makeup you want to buy. A small case to keep your essentials might be best if you’re just starting out, so buy something simple but cute like this one. If you end up pursuing a larger amount of makeup for variety, I suggest a train case, which is basically a small trunk that will keep makeup from getting smashed and broken.  I have a small train case similar to this one which has been super awesome for keeping my makeup safe and organized. It makes doing makeup a whole lot easier when you are rushing because you know where everything is in the case.

2. Face wash. Always wash your face before you put your makeup on.  A good idea so that you don’t forget is to keep a small travel-sized face wash with your makeup kit. Some of the best brands are Nivea and Garnier, but it can depend on your skin type what will work for you.

3. Primer and moisturizer. I decided to put these in the same category because they both are a good base for your makeup routine. I never put on makeup without one of these, if not both. Having a base for makeup is important because without it, skin problems typically arise. When you’re starting out buying primer, some good brands that I like are E.L.F. and Benefit, but explore your options and find one that is just right for your skin.

4. Foundation. Aka, the base of all makeup. Almost every cosmetic brand has their own version of foundation, but I definitely prefer Covergirl and Maybelline

5. Powder. This is a staple for your routine because without it, oil and shine will be the focus of your face. Some of the best kinds of powder for me come from Maybelline.  Their face products are great and affordable, especially for college gals like us.

6. Blush. For some, blush is a little scary, but I think it can be a great addition to anybody’s face. After you powder, applying a bit of light pink or coral blush on the apples of your cheeks will brighten your eyes and accentuate the cheek bones. Some of my favorites are from Sephora and Tarte.

7. Eye shadow. When you’re first starting out, eye makeup can be a bit intimidating. I recommend starting out with some neutral colors and working your way into bolder shades. A great palette to start off with is the Naked Basics from Urban Decay. The shades are soft and can be combined for a bold smoky eye, too. Another great palette is Natural Eyes by Too Faced. Both are great for beginners!

8. Mascara. Another awesome topper for your eyes that’s not too complex to apply is mascara. Some of my favorites are from Urban Decay, Too Faced and Sephora, but mascara can be really great in any brand. You just have to find what works best for you!

9. Lip color. I know what you’re thinking… AHHHHHH! I know lipstick is scary, trust me. I was once a rookie who didn’t know how to pull off bold lips. I’ve found that a general rule of thumb is that as long as you feel confident, wear whatever color you want. My favorite lip brands are Kat Von D, Nars and Too Faced.  Experiment with your face! Practice makes perfect.

10. Brushes. The last, but most certainly not least, step to completing your makeup kit is finding a set of good brushes. My all-time favorite brand for brushes is probably Eco Tools because they’re made naturally and feel great on skin. I also have some brushes from E.L.F. which are super nice and affordable. Regardless of what you purchase, just be sure to keep your brushes clean and safe in a case so that they don’t accumulate any bacteria and don’t contribute to skin irritation.

There you go, collegiette! In case you’re still struggling with the makeup game after reading this, head over to YouTube and check out some beauty bloggers or look for reviews on makeup that you’re nervous about buying. Stay fierce and hot, ladies!

I love makeup and caffeine.
Maty recently graduated Summa Cum Laude from West Virginia Wesleyan College (WVWC), and she couldn’t be more excited to return to the Her Campus family as a member of the Community Team.  Maty’s passion for writing has guided her through most of her adult life, and it eventually brought her to to the Her Campus Chapter Network as a Style Blogger for Her Campus WVWC. Maty would go on to become Campus Correspondent of her chapter, as well as an intern for Her Campus National and a Chapter Advisor.  Through her different roles at HC, Maty quickly fell in love with the mission and purpose of the Her Campus Chapter Network—and in her new role, Maty has the rare and coveted opportunity to do what she loves on a daily basis by working with a growing network of 360+ college chapters.    When Maty isn’t at the office, she’s usually out exploring, cooking some random recipe she found on Pinterest, or cuddling with her adorable corgi, Winnie.  Follow Maty on Twitter and Instagram !