Lori Thompson – WVWC Director of Counseling Services

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.
Sunday the 26th kicks off National Crime Vicitims Rights Week, a 7-day awareness campaign through the Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network (RAINN) organization. Though you may not recognize the name, you’ve probably heard about RAINN’s “It’s One Us” project, taking on sexual assualt on college campuses nationwide.

It has been rated one of the “America’s 100 Best Charities” by Worth magazine, partners with over 1,100 crisis centers, operates the Department of Defense safe helpline, and is the nation’s largest anti-sexual assualt organization. 

WVWC Director of Counseling Services Lori Thompson has been recognized for her large involvement with RAINN, including work over the last 8 months to grow it’s presence on our campus. 

WVWC’s extension of this organization is called “Just Stand”, led by Lori and fellow campus counselor Kirsten Coit-Fetty. 

They partner with the Women’s Aid in Crisis and Alpha Sigma Phi fraternity to help promote awareness as well as show movies, run programs to learn how to be a proactive bystander by taking their intervention workshops, and campus-wide prevention services given year around. 

She encourages students to get involved and learn more about this great organization, by attending Just Stand meetings and contacting her via email atthompson_l@wvwc.edu or Kirsten at coitfetty_k@wvwc.edu.

Remember 1-4 women and 1-21 men are sexually assaulted at some point throughout their college career, but it only takes one to do something about it by intervening in the situation. National Crime Victims Rights Week runs through May 2nd, so keep an eye out for awareness events!

To report an incident or get help at any time, call 1.800.656.HOPE or visit online.rainn.org

Thank you to Lori for stepping in and making a difference!
A public relations major with a passion for social media, the arts, and all things Disney, writer Corinne Weaver hopes to bring some Her Campus flare to WVWC. Weaver performs with the WVWC Theatre and Dance department, is a sister of Alpha Delta Pi, and interned at the National Aquarium in the Summer of '14! This Co-Editor-In-Chief will always love her close-knit hometown of Oakland, Maryland, but looks forward to opportunities to branch out in the future. Follow her @CorinneWeaver4 on Twitter and Instagram!