Look Fierce and Flawless this V-Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

February is here, love is in the air, and Valentine’s Day is just around the corner. With all the flowers to pick and chocolate to buy, it can be easy to struggle with how to create a fresh look for the big day. But no worries! With a few tips and reminders, you can have a Valentine’s look that will have you feeling (and looking) your best!   

The first thing’s first: decide what kind of look you are going for. Is it a romantic look for a date with your love? Or a fierce look for a night on the town with your girlfriends?  Once you decide, you can narrow down your options. Besides, Valentine’s Day is an excuse to dress up so you can look and feel hot! This is your chance to express your inner hopeless romantic or your confident sexy side (while keeping it classy, of course).

Something to remember: while you may see pink and red together all over the place for February, they are not very flattering to wear together. While the shades can vary, most of the time, they end up clashing. Pink is simply a shade of red, so the eye will instinctively try to blend them, with not very pretty results. So unless you are going with a very pale version of one of the colors, it’s best to pick either red or pink, if you are drawn to the palate of the holiday. 

While I’m a big fan of wearing your heart on your sleeve, Valentine’s Day is the perfect time to rock hearts elsewhere on your body, as well. Whether it be a sweater, patterned tights or lovely accessories, stores have many heart-themed items available for you to don all February! This is especially fun if you are going for a more casual or cute look. 

One common misconception about dressing for Valentine’s Day: you have to dress to please your man. This is not at all true. First off, you should always dress for you, not for anyone else. It’s perfectly fine to want to look and feel beautiful and sexy, but you should do it for you and at your comfort level. Remember that the person who truly loves you (and deserves you) will be looking at you, not just your clothes. 

Just remember, Valentine’s Day is all about love, whether to your significant other or to yourself. Therefore, you should dress to feel beautiful and confident, no matter where the day takes you. In love and in fashion, stay true to yourself!

And P.S. if Valentine’s Day isn’t your thing, don’t worry. You’ll always have shoes. (Shoe love is true love!)

Stay Classy, ladies! 

I am adopted from Russia and was raised in West Virginia. I am a double major in English (Writing Concentration) and Musical Theatre. I love art in many different forms be it writing, singing, acting, drawing/painting, or design. I adore fashion and it has helped me become the person that I want to be in life. I am a very open person and love talking to people, so feel free to ask me anything! I am honored to be a part of the Her Campus team and I hope that my writing will bring you a smile. If I'm not in the theater or typing up my version of the great American fashion column, you can always hear me coming from the click of my heels. My advice to all: Stay classy!
Maty recently graduated Summa Cum Laude from West Virginia Wesleyan College (WVWC), and she couldn’t be more excited to return to the Her Campus family as a member of the Community Team.  Maty’s passion for writing has guided her through most of her adult life, and it eventually brought her to to the Her Campus Chapter Network as a Style Blogger for Her Campus WVWC. Maty would go on to become Campus Correspondent of her chapter, as well as an intern for Her Campus National and a Chapter Advisor.  Through her different roles at HC, Maty quickly fell in love with the mission and purpose of the Her Campus Chapter Network—and in her new role, Maty has the rare and coveted opportunity to do what she loves on a daily basis by working with a growing network of 360+ college chapters.    When Maty isn’t at the office, she’s usually out exploring, cooking some random recipe she found on Pinterest, or cuddling with her adorable corgi, Winnie.  Follow Maty on Twitter and Instagram !