A List of All I Learned in 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

It’s finally 2016! (Where has the time gone?) The holidays are over, the snow has started falling, and now we’re all back in the Buck to rally through Spring Semester. With the start of the New Year, I can’t help but reflect on the past year. Whether yours was good, bad, crazy, fun or anything in between, there’s something you learned (even if you don’t care to admit it).

1. Change is not always necessarily a bad thing. It opens the door to opportunities and leads you to meet more people. Embrace it.

2. The Donut Shop is open 24 hours for a reason, and that reason is so you can eat homemade, baked goodness at 1 a.m. during finals week.

3. It is your job, and your job only to make yourself happy. Do the things you love because you love them, not because someone tells you to.

4. Unless you’re working in a group, you’ll be more productive studying on the 2nd floor of the library.

5. With that said, there’s a pull-out couch in the back of the library on the first floor.

6. Everyone has their own individual responsibility to make the world a better place. Find yours.

7. If you burn popcorn badly enough, you will set the fire alarm off. If you burn popcorn badly enough to set the fire alarm off at 2 a.m., everyone living in Fleming will hate you.

8. People grow apart; it’s natural. Don’t hold it against anyone.

9. Wings are 65 cents on Thursdays at BW3’s. You’re welcome.

10. Hard work pays off. Keep that in mind during finals week.

11. Pizza is better with a side of garlic knots and delivered to your dorm. Just don’t forget to bring your swipe, so you don’t lock yourself out of your building.

12. Sometimes time is the only thing that can make a bad thing better. Try your hardest to be patient.

13. If you ask nicely, the locals will let you pet their dogs when they take them for walks on campus. Sometimes all you need is a little puppy love in your life.

14. Grab & Go’s from Sunnybucks are the way to go if you’re in a rush and need to get lunch between classes. The best part? They count as one of your swipes.

15. There are 108 double stitches on a baseball. Trust me, I Googled it.

16. If you bring your car to school with you, it’ll turn into your own personal storage unit.

17. Sometimes things that seem like a big deal in the moment, turn out to not be such a big deal later on.

18. Home-cooked meals are not to be taken for granted.

19. There’s no telling how many emos you’ll receive in any given day.

20. Online shopping is addictive and a trap; try your best not to fall into it. But if you do, be sure to check out my favorite websites: Ulta, Ipsy and more!

21. Simply being kind to those around you can go a long way. Never underestimate that.

So, go forth and make the most out of 2016, but don’t forget all the lessons you learned in 2015. A surprisingly wise Instagram caption from Kourtney Kardashian reads, “Whatever happened over this past year, be thankful for where it brought you. Where you are is where you’re meant to be.”

Just a small town girl living in an even smaller college town. I'm an Accounting major at WVWC in hopes of someday going to law school. I enjoy coffee, jumping in puddles, & petting the locals' dogs when they take them for walks on campus.