The opinions expressed in this article are the writer’s own and do not reflect the views of Her Campus.
In college, with all the homework, the projects, the social life, it can be hard to take a break and take care of yourself. Happiness and contentment will come when your life is balanced. Self-care is an important part of creating a balanced life. Sometimes, learning to relax can be as simple as picking up some of your favorite food and watching a comfort movie. Self-care comes in all shapes and sizes, it all depends on what brings you peace. Simple changes in your life can also help you learn to relax. Set aside a time when you will stop working on homework and take a relaxing bath or shower. A daily habit that I have used to relax is to read (a book or novel of my choice) in bed before I go to sleep. This habit gives me the chance to do something I love, as well as take a much-needed break from class readings and from late-night scrollings on Instagram. Remember that no one will make you take time for yourself. You have to take responsibility for your own joy and do things that bring fulfillment to your life. If you are still wondering how to learn how to relax, here is a list of relaxing activities to try!
- Write a journal entry about your day
- Light some candles and take a bubble bath
- Watch a comfort movie while eating your favorite foods
- Bake some brownies (or a favorite dessert)
- Practice a new hobby (ex. Painting, drawing, sewing, cooking)
- Look up writing prompts and write a story
- Read a book on your TBR list
- Do a face mask and look through old pictures
- Organize your clothes and/or room