Kick-Start Your Workout at the Wellness Center

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

Did a long summer break throw a curveball to your workout routine? No access to a gym while you spent hours at work? The Wellness Center has you covered. Returning students have probably already utilized the facilities that are offered on Wesleyan’s campus, but first-year students may not know what the Wellness Center has to offer.

The Wellness Center, located on the first floor of Jenkins Hall, covers all types of exercise. Whether you prefer lifting free weights, using the Nautilus machines, or doing cardio on the treadmill or bike, there’s something designed specifically for you. The Wellness Center also has a multipurpose room in which students can do a variety of exercises, such as dancing, abdominal workouts, stretching, and circuit training. There is no limit as to what you can do!

Not only does the Wellness Center cover all of your exercise needs, but it also provides group exercising to put add some fun to your schedule. From relaxing yoga to upbeat Zumba, Wesleyan’s group exercise classes offer something for students of all interests. On Tuesdays and Thursdays at 7:00 am, students can break a sweat at Boot Camp. On Tuesdays and Thursdays at 5:30 pm, students can de-stress with yoga. On Mondays and Wednesdays at 5:00 pm, it’s time to kick it up and notch and get moving with Zumba!

As we’ve been told throughout our lives, exercise has many benefits for us. It not only increases our physical health, but it strengthens our mental health as well. Getting up, getting moving, and performing daily amounts of exercise releases endorphins into your brain. Endorphins, or hormones that promote good feelings, stimulate our bodies and our well-being. It’s especially important to make the habit of exercising during the first weeks and months of school because, as students begin to be swamped with work, tests, and research papers, it becomes easier and easier to shirk time in the gym. However, it’s these small amounts of workout time that can help relieve stress and help us focus better in the long run.

If students are looking for motivation or are new to exercise and need help with workouts, individuals involved with the exercise science department are more than willing to help. For needs such as personal training and nutritional advice, email Dr. Greg Bradley-Popovich at bradley_g@wvwc.edu to be set up with a free personal trainer. For a fitness routine that’s tailor exactly for your needs, email exercise science major Trey Chapman at chapman_je@wvwc.edu. Trey offers assistance to anyone who’s interested in exercise.

“I want to train students because I enjoy fitness and believe that everyone can benefit from exercise,” Trey says. “Each person’s fitness level will help me decide the type of workout they should be put through. It’s really a case-by-case basis. Everyone is different and wants different things through and exercise program, and I am willing to offer that assistance.”

Make time to better yourself physically and mentally this year. Get to the Wellness Center!