How to Wear Heels (Without the Pain)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

When it comes to fashion, high heels are the most recognizable way to add class and elegance to any outfit. While some women love high heels and other women hate them, a good majority of women fall somewhere in the middle. The biggest complaint is, of course, the pain. While it ultimately all comes down to what you are used to, these tips can help you rock your fabulous heels without falling flat.

1. Wear the Correct Size 

While this may seem obvious, if you are wearing a shoe that doesn’t fit you correctly, it is going to cause you pain. It also alters the way you walk, which just leads to strained legs and ankles. So be sure to really take time to find your correct size.

Things to remember:

• Make sure your toes are not being crushed
  • Make sure the heel of the shoe fits snuggly; otherwise, you will just step out of the shoe.

2. Go for Straps 

To avoid stepping out of your heels, go for heels with straps. These provide more support because it distributes your weight evenly over your whole foot, not just the ball of your foot.

3. Work Your Way Up 

Please! If you are not used to wearing heels, don’t go straight for a six-inch pump! It’s important to be realistic about what kind of shoe has day-long potential. It is always best to work your way up to your preferred height. While this does take some patience it will greatly cut down on your amount of pain. Think of it as calf exercise. You wouldn’t try to run a marathon if you’ve never trained, right?

4. Choose a Platform 

Some people shy away from platforms because they fear the added height will be too much. However, a platform will give you height without the pain on your ankles. A thin sole will cause more pain to the bottom of your feet. The platform reduces the harsh incline of your foot making things more comfortable all around.

5. Try a Wedge 

Always remember: the narrower the heel, the greater the pain. So try a chunkier heel or a wedge. In this way, the heel has a wider base of stability.

6. Take Breaks 

Being on your feet for an extend period of time is painful, whether you are wearing heels or not. So do yourself a favor and give yourself a break so you don’t strain yourself or give up on heels too soon.

7. Score More 

Taking a tip from the ballerinas, scoring the bottoms of your shoes will create grooves to prevent you from slipping. All it takes is grabbing a pair of scissors and lightly carving crisscross lines on the soles of your shoes! Now you have instant grip!

8. Inserts 

If you are only having a little pain, try adding an insert to the shoe. The best places are on the inner heel for better fit or the balls of the shoes for added cushion.

9. Buy Ahead of Time 

High heels right out of the box aren’t going to be comfortable right off the bat. It’s important to take the time break in new shoes. Try simple things like taking a walk around your house or in the hallway of your dorm way before the big event. By doing this, you will also gain more confidence walking in them and you will be able to identify any problem areas.

And most important…

10. Practice Makes Perfect 

As with anything, practice truly does make perfect when it comes to high heels. Remember not to get discouraged and to have reasonable expectations. Your body has to be given a chance to adjust to a new way of walking and balancing itself, so it’s going to take a little time, but believe me when I say that it is worth it! Most importantly, show off your confident walk and dazzling smile when you rock the most elegant shoes in the business.

Stay classy, ladies! 

I am adopted from Russia and was raised in West Virginia. I am a double major in English (Writing Concentration) and Musical Theatre. I love art in many different forms be it writing, singing, acting, drawing/painting, or design. I adore fashion and it has helped me become the person that I want to be in life. I am a very open person and love talking to people, so feel free to ask me anything! I am honored to be a part of the Her Campus team and I hope that my writing will bring you a smile. If I'm not in the theater or typing up my version of the great American fashion column, you can always hear me coming from the click of my heels. My advice to all: Stay classy!
Maty recently graduated Summa Cum Laude from West Virginia Wesleyan College (WVWC), and she couldn’t be more excited to return to the Her Campus family as a member of the Community Team.  Maty’s passion for writing has guided her through most of her adult life, and it eventually brought her to to the Her Campus Chapter Network as a Style Blogger for Her Campus WVWC. Maty would go on to become Campus Correspondent of her chapter, as well as an intern for Her Campus National and a Chapter Advisor.  Through her different roles at HC, Maty quickly fell in love with the mission and purpose of the Her Campus Chapter Network—and in her new role, Maty has the rare and coveted opportunity to do what she loves on a daily basis by working with a growing network of 360+ college chapters.    When Maty isn’t at the office, she’s usually out exploring, cooking some random recipe she found on Pinterest, or cuddling with her adorable corgi, Winnie.  Follow Maty on Twitter and Instagram !