How-to Halloween: Doll Makeup Tutorial

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

Need a fast, easy makeup tutorial for Halloween? Meet my cute best friend, Emma Watson! She came to me and said, “Hey, can you make me look like this?” to which I replied with an enthusiastic, “Yes!” This look took me 45 minutes to finish, and all you need is a baby doll style dress and some flats for your costume.  Keep reading to learn! 

1. Foundation

Use whatever you prefer—it doesn’t particularly matter. I used a Ben Nye foundation like this one. Apply all over face and neck with fingers or sponge.

2. Blush

Anything really pigmented with a rosy undertone is best for the doll appeal.  I stuck with Ben Nye and used this in the shade fresh coral.

3. Brown Dots

Take a very small brush and a brown makeup—it can be eyeshadow, lipstick, or whatever you have—I’m using Ben Nye character shadow like this one. The trick is to be very precise and don’t move your brush too much. Also, don’t put the dots in straight lines or patterns.  Random is best.

4. Brows

Dolls have very pristine eyebrows.  Fill yours in with an eye pencil like this one from Ben Nye just to complete the clean look of the doll.

5. Lips

As you can see, her bottom lip is at the base of her chin.  I used the red crème in the Bruise and Abrasions kit from Ben Nye, also.  Coat the entire upper lip and make a rectangular lip shape at the base of the chin. It’s perfectly okay if you have trouble making it look like a lip because not many people will notice it.

6. Teeth/mouth

You will need a white highlight and a black.  My black is from the Bruise and Abrasions Ben Nye wheel.  The white is also from good ole’ Ben Nye, and it is a simple white cream color. On the bottom lip, draw three or four black lines and simply fill in spaces with the white. Draw two lines straight downward, one from each mouth corner, and do the same process for teeth above the red “bottom lip” you made earlier.  Fill in the remainder of the chin solid black.

7. Eyes

You will need false eyelashes—Emma wanted me to use these kind from Ardell—some more of the white crème highlight and a black liner. First, line your lashes top and bottom with black. Then, make a rectangle with the liner underneath your eye (it doesn’t have to be perfect; mine were a little uneven) and fill the rectangle entirely with white crème.  Put some white crème on your eyelid, also. After all this, place your false lashes on—one set on the upper lash line, and the other at the bottom line of the rectangle (farthest from the eye).

After this, the look is complete! Top it off with a light dusting of powder, especially if you intend to be in the makeup for several hours. The worst that can happen is you will sweat it off. And of course, the given, don’t touch your face! The doll look might look more like a zombie with smudging, so please be careful!

Here’s what she looked like when she was all done: 

I love makeup and caffeine.
Maty recently graduated Summa Cum Laude from West Virginia Wesleyan College (WVWC), and she couldn’t be more excited to return to the Her Campus family as a member of the Community Team.  Maty’s passion for writing has guided her through most of her adult life, and it eventually brought her to to the Her Campus Chapter Network as a Style Blogger for Her Campus WVWC. Maty would go on to become Campus Correspondent of her chapter, as well as an intern for Her Campus National and a Chapter Advisor.  Through her different roles at HC, Maty quickly fell in love with the mission and purpose of the Her Campus Chapter Network—and in her new role, Maty has the rare and coveted opportunity to do what she loves on a daily basis by working with a growing network of 360+ college chapters.    When Maty isn’t at the office, she’s usually out exploring, cooking some random recipe she found on Pinterest, or cuddling with her adorable corgi, Winnie.  Follow Maty on Twitter and Instagram !