How to Fight the Fall Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

Fall is many collegiettes’ favorite time of the year, and for good reason. It’s officially the start of sweaters, scarves and pumpkin spice lattes—and the long awaited Fall Break. Unfortunately, it also brings the beginnings of a seasonal slump, or the fall blues. These can cause college students to neglect their studies, friends and even grooming habits. To help fight them, here are five helpful tips to battle the falling into the blues.

Enjoy fall.

Photo Credit: Sammantha Norris

1. Get all the sunlight you can. The sun is starting to set earlier and earlier during this time of year, so reminding your body that the sun isn’t gone will do you wonders. This doesn’t mean ignoring skin health and laying in the sun forgetting sunscreen, but being out in the natural light and warmth is almost guaranteed to raise your spirit.

2. Drink plenty of Vitamin C. Our bodies are constantly being attacked my nasty little bugs, and the stress of fall can seriously lower your immune system. So give it the little extra push it needs by drinking orange juice or other liquids rich in Vitamin C.

3. Have a constant sleep habit. This tip is much easier said than done, but it will change your school life. It will make school work easier, and make your emotions better by allowing your body to be up in the day like it was designed to be.

4. Take in the surroundings. Autumn is a gorgeous season, so let yourself enjoy it. Study under the falling leaves, take a walk in the cooler weather, let nature inspire you. The changing colors can lead to art, literature and beauty inspiration.

5. Take time to focus on yourself. Let your own thoughts be the focus, and spend a couple minutes every day just worrying about yourself. Sometimes we let ourselves get lost in the chaos of the world, but giving yourself the time you deserve can change your entire world. 

I am a sophomore Political Science student at West Virginia Wesleyan College. I love writing about the human experience in college and giving advice.
Maty recently graduated Summa Cum Laude from West Virginia Wesleyan College (WVWC), and she couldn’t be more excited to return to the Her Campus family as a member of the Community Team.  Maty’s passion for writing has guided her through most of her adult life, and it eventually brought her to to the Her Campus Chapter Network as a Style Blogger for Her Campus WVWC. Maty would go on to become Campus Correspondent of her chapter, as well as an intern for Her Campus National and a Chapter Advisor.  Through her different roles at HC, Maty quickly fell in love with the mission and purpose of the Her Campus Chapter Network—and in her new role, Maty has the rare and coveted opportunity to do what she loves on a daily basis by working with a growing network of 360+ college chapters.    When Maty isn’t at the office, she’s usually out exploring, cooking some random recipe she found on Pinterest, or cuddling with her adorable corgi, Winnie.  Follow Maty on Twitter and Instagram !