This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

It’s the second most stressful time of the year; midterms. Everyone is cranky, stressed, and nothing ever feels like it’s really getting done. But! Here are some handy tips on studying:

First, actually study. This doesn’t mean staring blankly at old tests or reading the same sentence six times. It means getting up, writing out your own study guide, maybe even calling back and forth with a friend. Try to a lot a certain amount of time every day, avoiding those all night study sessions that’ll just stress you out. Starting at least a week in advance is ideal, and will help you retain information better.

Next, sleep. Try and go to bed early before your midterm, and lay out things you’ll need for the next day in advance so you save time. Getting sleep is important to keep your brain sharp and focused. If you really have to, set an alarm to wake up an hour earlier than normal, and study then. Not only will you feel more refreshed, but your mind will then be more focused before the test.

If you’re just not a morning studier, you should do something else to get your mind focused and awake. For many this is make up, doing their hair, or even making a cup of coffee. As long as you have something that will really wake you up before the test, this will help significantly.

Finally, relax! It’s easier said than done, but it will also help focus you in. Take some deep breaths, try to clear your mind, and let your tension release. You just might surprise yourself with how much better you feel afterwards.

Midterms can be rough, but if you stay positive and prepare, you can ace anything your professor throws at you.

A Writing and Gender Studies Major, Alpha Gamma Delta sister, and 4Her. 
West Virginia Wesleyan College, English Writing and Communications major.