THE HOTTEST LOOKS FOR SPRING 2014

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

Punxsutawney Phil may have seen his shadow, and this may have been the worst winter in the history of the US, but that doesn’t mean that it’s too soon to start getting ready for spring! The perfect way to combat those dreaded winter blues? Start thinking about happier, warmer, and sunnier days! Though it may not seem like it, those days are quickly approaching. We all know what that means: spring fashion! It’s time to ditch your frumpy, dull winter garb for bright and cheerful spring frocks. Here are some of the latest and greatest fashion trends for spring 2014:

Oranges, Pinks, and Pastels

Just like last season, monochromatic fashion proves that it is unsurpassable. Black and white clothing always creates a polished, sophisticated look. This spring, try wearing these shades in light, airy fabrics such as organza or chiffon. And black is always a staple whenever it comes to chic leather jackets.  

Metallic pastels and hues of pink are popular this season, as well—especially when it comes to dresses, slacks, and blazers. So, if you’re in search of the perfect interview/date outfit, opt for knee-length, A-line or sheath dresses. Or, pair a matching metallic blazer and slacks over a sheer, neutral tank. Just think to yourself, What would Jaqueline Kennedy wear?   

Orange has also been named this season’s hottest accent color. This means that you can vamp up a casual, neutral look with an orange piece of some sort. This could be a handbag, necklace, bracelet, earrings, ring, belt, shoes, or even lips. Just don’t combine too many orange pieces at once; we don’t want you looking like a tangerine (even if you’re a fashion-forward one)! 

Pump it Up!

You’re going to need shoes to go with all of that new garb! Be on the lookout for low-heeled pumps. Depending on the look you want, you can opt for classic (such as a solid blush tone), metallic (Bronze and rose-gold are ideal this season.), or even embellished (studded, printed, et cetera). Just make sure that your adorable new kicks are comfortable. You don’t want to waste half of your paycheck on shoes that you won’t even be able to wear!

Embellishments

Forget layering on the bangles and necklaces; this season, your clothing can also be substituted as your bling! Be on the hunt for sweaters, blouses, and pants that are decked out in gems, studs, or shimmering stones. Just make sure that you don’t wear all of the pieces at the same time; you only want to draw attention to one piece. Otherwise, you might vaguely start to resemble a disco-ball. Pair embellished, neutral-toned jeans with a chambray button-down (or another basic top of your choosing). Blush-toned sweaters with gem-embroidered collars or shoulders are the perfect mate for ballerina skirts, shorts, or your favorite pair of skinnies. A sleeveless, A-line dress with a studded collar can also be the perfect statement piece.

Unleash Your Inner Athlete!

Whether you’re a student athlete or a fashionista on the prowl for the next “look”, you’ll love this trend! Sports gear has made its way onto the runway and into the fashion forecast of spring 2014. Track shorts, for example, have been revamped into elegant attire. Suede or leather track shorts in bold colors paired with sheer collared shirts make for the perfect casual spring/summer outfit. Bright, stylish windbreakers are also a sporty fashion staple this spring. Dress it up with matching pumps or glam flats—or wear it to the gym and make yourself the envy of all your exercise buddies!    

Maty recently graduated Summa Cum Laude from West Virginia Wesleyan College (WVWC), and she couldn’t be more excited to return to the Her Campus family as a member of the Community Team.  Maty’s passion for writing has guided her through most of her adult life, and it eventually brought her to to the Her Campus Chapter Network as a Style Blogger for Her Campus WVWC. Maty would go on to become Campus Correspondent of her chapter, as well as an intern for Her Campus National and a Chapter Advisor.  Through her different roles at HC, Maty quickly fell in love with the mission and purpose of the Her Campus Chapter Network—and in her new role, Maty has the rare and coveted opportunity to do what she loves on a daily basis by working with a growing network of 360+ college chapters.    When Maty isn’t at the office, she’s usually out exploring, cooking some random recipe she found on Pinterest, or cuddling with her adorable corgi, Winnie.  Follow Maty on Twitter and Instagram !
West Virginia Wesleyan College, English Writing and Communications major.