Driving Home for the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

We’ve reached that time in that year when everyone in college is excited to go home and be with their families to celebrate the holidays; however, not every may be excited for the long drive home. For the people who leave an hour or two from campus, congrats to you! A two-hour drive seems like the perfect distance, but for the ones that live further, the drive doesn’t sound as great. So, for those of us who have a long-distance drive ahead, here are some tips to help make your drive more bearable.

1. Make your own CDs:

By making your own CDs, you are controlling the music and mood of your trip. This eliminates those annoying commercials and songs you don’t like on the radio. Of course, your CD doesn’t have to be music; maybe try burning a podcast or audio book the trip instead.

1. Get your favorite food or drink on the way:

Passing a restaurant or fast food joint that isn’t in your college town? Stop by and get food or drinks from there for the way home! This will keep you awake and sets the mood for you to be excited about your trip since you are looking forward to something. So, stop and get that Starbucks drink or sushi along the drive, and treat yourself! Trust me, you deserve it girl!

1. Call people on Bluetooth:

Starting to get bored by just listening to music? Well, end that lonely time by calling someone. Driving long distance is the perfect time to call your friends and caught up or to call your grandma who’s been calling you at times you haven’t been able to answer. This will make the time go by faster and make you feel less lonely.

Whether you’re just driving a few hours or taking the whole day to go home, these tips will help your trip be less boring. By making your own CDs, getting food/drinks you want, and calling people, you can make the trip more enjoyable.

Safe travels everyone, and have a great break from classes!