Dorm Door Decor: How to Decorate Your Door for Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

One of the best things about living in a dorm room or apartment is being able to decorate the space however you want. However, that space can often be too small to decorate around the holidays. My suggestion for decorating without taking up every inch of space left in your room: door decorations. Not only do door decorations save you precious living space, but they allow you to show off your Halloween spirit to everyone that walks by!

Here’s how to start:

Begin with a Theme 

Do you want your door to look cute or creepy? Do you go with Frankenstein or Dracula? What about monsters? Zombies? Skeletons? Witches? The options are endless!

Know Where to Shop 

Don’t waste your money shopping online for expensive decorations. Head to Wal-Mart or Dollar Tree to find everything you’ll need to put your door together. There is a wide variety to choose from, but if you don’t see what you’re looking for, buy what you need and make it yourself!

Put It All Together 

Grab some masking tape, plenty of command hooks, and create your masterpiece! Make a witch by taping a hat to your door and adding a broom. Hang skeleton garland, tape up giant jack-o-lantern faces, or create a crime scene door. Coordinate with your neighbors or even your entire hall. Personally, I think a Charlie Brown and the Great Pumpkin patch would be perfect for this.

These tricks will help you make it through Halloween weekend in style. Just don’t be surprised if someone knocks on your door asking for candy. Happy Halloween, collegiettes! Don’t forget to tag us on Instagram in your dorm door décor pictures at @HerCampus_WVWC! 

Just a small town girl living in an even smaller college town. I'm an Accounting major at WVWC in hopes of someday going to law school. I enjoy coffee, jumping in puddles, & petting the locals' dogs when they take them for walks on campus.
Maty recently graduated Summa Cum Laude from West Virginia Wesleyan College (WVWC), and she couldn’t be more excited to return to the Her Campus family as a member of the Community Team.  Maty’s passion for writing has guided her through most of her adult life, and it eventually brought her to to the Her Campus Chapter Network as a Style Blogger for Her Campus WVWC. Maty would go on to become Campus Correspondent of her chapter, as well as an intern for Her Campus National and a Chapter Advisor.  Through her different roles at HC, Maty quickly fell in love with the mission and purpose of the Her Campus Chapter Network—and in her new role, Maty has the rare and coveted opportunity to do what she loves on a daily basis by working with a growing network of 360+ college chapters.    When Maty isn’t at the office, she’s usually out exploring, cooking some random recipe she found on Pinterest, or cuddling with her adorable corgi, Winnie.  Follow Maty on Twitter and Instagram !