This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

Attention to any and all athletes out there: do you feel the pressure increasing? That’s right, that time of the season is coming. What time do you ask? Conference, of course! If you’re an athlete in college, you understand the pressure of a big race or game approaching near the end of the season. This pressure can already be intense, but don’t forget the studying and stress that come along with college midterms. In order to keep track of the schoolwork, here are some tips to help you stay on track– not only on the field but also in the classroom.

1. Don’t let yourself get behind! This may be easier said than done, but once you are behind on classwork, catching back up may be very difficult to do. In order to prevent this, try to stay ahead. Study for an exam a week before the test day. Make a goal of how many assignments you want to accomplish in a day and actually do them all. Have a paper that isn’t due for three days? Go ahead and write the introduction paragraph or even finish the essay entirely – trust me, you’ll thank yourself later. Finishing the assignments early will keep you in front of the game.

1. Stay in communication with your professors and coaches. Let your professors know  in advance when you will miss class or labs. They like to know that you aren’t just skipping the class and may even be more lenient towards a late assignment or test taking. Along with the professors, keep your coaches up to date on your school work. Your coaches understand that you are here to get your degree, not just to play sports, therefore, let them know if you need time to make up on a missed lab or test. They will be just as lenient as your professors. 

1. Stay organized! Before you go to bed, write down a list of your schedule for the next day. Plan this hour by hour if necessary, however you wish to do it. After planning the schedule, write a list of the things you wish to accomplish for that day; this can be assignments you want to start, or even just chores that need to be done. Writing out goals that you wish to achieve and scheduling them in the day will increase the likelihood that you will actually get them done.

Staying ahead of schoolwork, keeping communication with professors and coaches, and being organized will help you stay on top of your responsibilities as a student. Being in collegiate sports is amazing, but remember– you are a student athlete, meaning a student before an athlete. College is meant to get a degree and to be successful in a career; being an athlete is just the bonus of it all. So, have fun planning for the big conference meet coming up on the weekend, or practicing for regionals against the greatest Wesleyan rival, but don’t let the competition overtake your schooling. Stay on top of the game in the classroom before walking into the practice of your sport.

Until next time, HCXO!

Image Sources:

http://ephsports.williams.edu/sports/mtrack/2007-08/news/0528_Fletcher_B…

https://www.teamusa.org/News/2016/August/18/Team-USA-Landed-Its-First-Wo…