This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

I know what you’re thinking: “Christmas already?!” Even though we are only getting past Halloween, Christmas will be here in less than two months. This is the perfect time to start planning and/or shopping for the family on Christmas presents. The end of the year can be a tight budget for people, especially with the holidays coming up. Therefore, I have made a few tips that will help you shop a little wiser.     

1. Shop sooner

Procrastination is a serious issue for some people, me included. Spreading out your shopping list will not only help you budget more, but also save you time. Spending a little amount of money per week or per paycheck over the course of time, will prevent you from being completely broke at the end of the year when you are forced to spend a large amount at once on gifts.

2. Coupons and Sales

Keep updated on sales in the stores you typically shop for gifts. Some even have special sales online, this allows you to order the product without going through the store’s hustle crowd. Also, coupon when you can! Many companies allow you to sign up through email to receive coupons, take advantage of this.

3. Listen to your gift receiver

When in conversation with that person you wish to buy presents for, listen to what they are saying. Maybe you’ll hear that his/ her bathroom rugs are torn up. Maybe you’ll catch the fact that he/she can’t find this game he/she has been looking for the past year. By listening to the person and keeping hints that can lead to gift ideas, you can actually save yourself some money. Instead of creating an extraordinary gift basket you’ve made, maybe that person really just wanted a certain book that was released a month ago. Overall, you save the money and the person will be happy with the gift.

No matter what the presents are, I am sure your family and friends will be happy with you for even the thought of them. However, you do not need to go broke in the process. By using these tips, you will be sure to complete the Christmas shopping list and leave a little extra cash in your wallet at the end of the year.

My name is Gabriella Sayger, but everyone calls me Gabby! I am a sophomore majoring in English and still deciding on minors! I am destined for law school! I play golf, my favorite book is "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen, and I love Sushi! I'm hoping for an amazing year! Go Bobcats!