Campus Celebrity: Maggie Lohmann

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

This week’s campus celebrity is a busy bee with a bright future ahead of her! For those of you who don’t already know her, here is a little bit about Maggie Lohmann!

Major: English Literature and Biology with an Honors minor

Hometown: Bridgeport, West Virginia

Why did you choose Wesleyan: After attending Governor’s School for the Arts at Wesleyan during the summer of 2014, I fell in love with the campus. Every time I would come for a visit day, I was so impressed with the close-knit community here and how they made me feel like this was the home for me.

What activities are you involved in at Wesleyan: I am involved with Freshman Council and have served as Vice President during second semester. Next year, I will serve as Treasurer for my class. I am the Class of 2020’s representative on Student Senate’s Awards and Elections Committee, a member of Alpha Lambda Delta, and also serve as a mentor through Appalachian Impact. I played violin for a few chapel services on campus during first semester, too.  

Best memory/memory at college: Freshman year has already given me so many wonderful experiences, but the best was spring break in Paris with the Honors program. We went to so many gorgeous places and I loved getting to really know the students and professors who were on the trip with me. I have also enjoyed a lot of great things with my closest friends, including the first big bingo night during Homecoming weekend, Outdoor Rec trips, weekly Zumba classes, and attending football and basketball games.

Favorite Food: It’s a four-way tie between cheeseburgers, gluten free pizza, my dad’s grilled chicken, and Reese’s.

Favorite Quote: “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight” Proverbs 3:5-6, is my favorite Bible verse. It reminds me that I don’t have to always feel like I’m in complete control of my situations and plans because He already has a plan for me.

Hobbies: Reading, writing, running, boating, water skiing and tubing, swimming, fishing, watching sports (especially college football and basketball), singing, dancing, exploring West Virginia, helping out at Bridgeport United Methodist church, spending time with family, playing violin, and hammocking with my sister Claire.    

Future plans: I’m not 100% sure of what I’m going to do after I graduate from WVWC. I’ve thought a lot about endocrinology or public health because that would allow me to combine my fascination for medicine with my desire to help others. English has always been my favorite subject. I would like to do something with medicine because as a Type One diabetic, I realize how important good healthcare has been in my life and want to bring that service to others.   

Dream Job: Working for the Smithsonian, especially in the National Museum of American History, or for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF)

Any special talents: I play violin and did ballet and theatre throughout middle and high school.

What is your spirit animal: I guess I would say an otter, because they are cheerful and always in the water (and swimming and being around water are two of my favorite things).

Favorite place to be: I love travelling with my family, but my very favorite places to go with them are Deep Creek Lake, the Outer Banks, Washington D.C., and WVU football and basketball games.   

Where do you see yourself in 5 years: I would like to be in graduate or medical school, and hopefully working on a book. I’ve always wanted to be a children’s book author, regardless of which profession I end up in!

Any advice for your past self: I would tell myself to keep working hard and staying true to who you are because that is going to prepare you for so much and help you reach your goals and dreams.

Although the school year is almost over, don’t stress out! I’m sure you will get to know Maggie soon, whether it’s through on of the organizations she is involved in, class, or even just on the sidewalk! 

Junior Public Relations major. I have an obsession with my dog and every form of coffee.
Just a small town girl living in an even smaller college town. I'm an Accounting major at WVWC in hopes of someday going to law school. I enjoy coffee, jumping in puddles, & petting the locals' dogs when they take them for walks on campus.