Bobcat Softball Voted Favorite to Win WVIAC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

January has already become a thing of the past as Wesleyan’s spring sports prepare to start their season.

Even at the season’s start, the Lady Bobcat softball team is looking good. The team has been named the favorite to win the West Virginia Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (WVAIC). The Bobcats were voted the number one team to win by coaches from around the state, beating out the number two favorite West Virginia State by a twelve-point margin. Jacqui Omichinski, the team’s pitcher, is thrilled to have this overall edge on the competition.

“We’re definitely excited about it, but we know it will take a lot of hard work and teamwork to win, especially since our competition always seems to bring their A-game when they face us,” Omichinski said.

Our softball girls have a long history of winning the WVAIC tournament, having won the last four championships. It’s no wonder our team beat out schools like Shepherd University, Concord University, Davis & Elkins College and West Liberty University for the number one spot. The team is excited about the news, and the players have as high of hopes as their coach has. 

“Our goal every year is to win the WVIAC, and that’s even more true this year since it’s our last year before we switch over to the Mountain East Conference,” Omichinski said. We’re hoping to work towards going even further than we did last year: all the way to the National Tournament. It’s going to be a long road with many difficult games, but if we play together as a team and trust ourselves on the field, I feel like we’ll be able to accomplish all our goals.”

The Her Campus team wishes our ladies the best of luck! Be sure to check out the softball schedule to cheer them on toward victory!