This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

Hey, collegiette! It’s February, and guess what that means? It’s Black History Month!  I had the privilege to sit down with Bre Scott, a senior public relations major and our very own Social Media Director for Her Campus WVWC, and I learned so many amazing things about African American beauty that I’m pleased to share with you all! She even let me do her makeup (even though she clearly doesn’t need it; she’s gorgeous in her own skin). 

Before Makeup: 

Q: What is your favorite skin care product?

A: I definitely have two. Cocoa butter for the lips and skin. Lotion is also great.

Q: Favorite makeup brand?

A: Maybelline. Their products always look great on my skin.

Q: What is the one beauty essential you never leave your dorm without or without putting on?

A: ChapStick is key to my life. Since my lips are the biggest feature of my face as a black woman, they can’t be crusty and dry. ChapStick makes them soft, luscious and delightful.  

Q: Favorite hair product? 

A: O.R.S. It’s basically lotion for your hair. It makes my hair delightful, shiny and protected from heat. And it smells great!

Q: Favorite beauty memory? 

A: My senior prom was a time when I felt most gorgeous. I got my hair, makeup and nails done!

Q: Who is your beauty inspiration and/or role model? 

A: Beyoncé.  I want to be her! 

Q: Do you have to order a lot of beauty products, or can you find most of what you need here in town? 

A: The Walmart in town does not have an ethnic hair care section, which I do not appreciate.  I have to go to CVS and Rite Aid, which doesn’t sound like much of a big deal probably, but it is to me.

Q: What colors look best on you?

A: Bright colors look best for my skin. For nail polish, I love reds, mauves and nudes.

Q: How do you wear your hair?

A: I wear my hair relaxed with products to keep it straight. I love natural hair styles, but I’ve never been adventurous enough to try it to my own. 

After Makeup: Isn’t She Flawless? 

“Do whatever makes you feel beautiful.  Don’t ever feel like you have to look a certain way just because someone else does. I’m a strong, independent black woman who feels gorgeous no matter what, and everyone should, too.” – Bre Scott

I love makeup and caffeine.
Maty recently graduated Summa Cum Laude from West Virginia Wesleyan College (WVWC), and she couldn’t be more excited to return to the Her Campus family as a member of the Community Team.  Maty’s passion for writing has guided her through most of her adult life, and it eventually brought her to to the Her Campus Chapter Network as a Style Blogger for Her Campus WVWC. Maty would go on to become Campus Correspondent of her chapter, as well as an intern for Her Campus National and a Chapter Advisor.  Through her different roles at HC, Maty quickly fell in love with the mission and purpose of the Her Campus Chapter Network—and in her new role, Maty has the rare and coveted opportunity to do what she loves on a daily basis by working with a growing network of 360+ college chapters.    When Maty isn’t at the office, she’s usually out exploring, cooking some random recipe she found on Pinterest, or cuddling with her adorable corgi, Winnie.  Follow Maty on Twitter and Instagram !