Back to School: New Beginnings, Fresh Perspectives

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

Here we are. Back on campus where our goodbyes from the previous semester still feel all too familiar. The adjustment is difficult; preparing for classes, completing assignments and forcing down cafeteria food are activities I don’t welcome too openly.

But collegiette, it is important to absorb the excitement of this upcoming adventure. Yes, I realize that 8 a.m. make you feel dead inside and that night classes require an unhealthy amount of (additional) caffeine. I realize that books and tuition are expensive and that you’re already a destitute college kid. But take a moment to hear me out. Each of these things I’ve previously stated seem very pessimistic, right? Not too much to be thrilled about.

Alter your perspective for a moment. Channel your optimistic vibes briefly. If you get out of bed at 8 a.m., you’re already accomplishing more than 36.4 percent of college students who live with depression and are not physically capable of getting out of bed. If you are purchasing books and are capable of reading them, you are experiencing a privilege that 759 million illiterate individuals around the world do not. Need I say more?

I want to reassure you that my statements of access and privilege are not meant to make you feel guilty for the opportunities that you have. In fact, my intentions are quite the opposite. I hope that these statistics push you; I hope that they push you to wake up for those early morning classes. I hope that they push you to continue reading, learning and exploring disciplines that ignite your passion(s). I hope that they prepare you to conquer your goals and achieve your dreams!

Collegiette, as you return to your second home for another year, I ask that you do so with an open mind and an empathetic heart. Celebrate the highs and eat lots of ice cream during the lows. But most importantly, rise up from the ashes in honor of the human beings who dream to be in your shoes. Have a fabulous year!