Angel Wilson ’13: President of Black Student Union

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WVWC chapter.

West Virginia is a state not known for its immense diversity—and for good reason: 94.1% of the state is white. For students coming from larger cities and different states, the culture shock of being in such a homogenous area is astonishing. Senior psychology major Angel Wilson from Baltimore, Md., has definitely felt the shock of being in such a small town atmosphere.

“The most challenging part of going to a predominately white school is always having to educate people on my culture,” Wilson says. “Some people on the campus are interested in black culture and sometimes questions and curiosity may come off as ignorance. Nevertheless, I am happy to educate.”

Wilson is an expert at that education. She is currently the president of Wesleyan’s Black Student Union (BSU). She has also served as the organization’s secretary and vice president, successfully guiding the organization towards better publicity and recognition on campus.

“BSU annually participates in the Stockert Youth Festival, Trick or Treat for Canned Goods and Do Good Day,” she says. “For Black History Month this year, BSU hosted Welcome to Harlem, an event celebrating black poets and musicians, and we also host All Around the World, our annual fashion show.”

With so many activities going on around campus, it’s hard to imagine anyone not recognizing the group and all of the hard work that Wilson and her fellow officers and members put into the organization. Surprisingly, however, Wilson notes that those stigmas are still there.

“The most challenging part of being BSU president is the negativity,” Wilson says. “People, black and white, always doubt BSU, but our events are very successful. The other officers and I work very hard.”

That hard work and dedication is shown tenfold in the relationships and bonds Wilson has made with the members of her group.

“I joined BSU because I was interested in their activities and ideas,” she says. “I wanted to be part of an organization with people I related to. I like the people I meet in BSU. The other officers and I have a very close-knit friendship.”

Wilson, who has minors in English and gender studies, has plans to be a camp counselor in Croatia for the summer before moving back to the United States and finding a path that combines all of her loves. The one thing that she will miss the most about Wesleyan and the bonds that she has made in BSU is, of course, the friends that she has made along the way.

“I’ll miss the people and events in BSU,” Wilson says. “As for Wesleyan, I’ll miss my friends, most of my professors, and the things I learned from the professors and my peers.”

Wilson came to Wesleyan wanting to teach others about her culture, point of view and sense of self. Come May, she will be able to leave knowing that she did just that—and that she will continue to do so no matter where in life she goes.